Marathon effort for Chemo Appeal
- Credit: Archant
Take part in the Bideford Bay 50K this month and raise money for the North Devon Chemotherapy Appeal.
THE first ever North Devon ‘ultra marathon’ will take place between Hartland and Bideford on Sunday, October 12 for the Chemotherapy Appeal.
The Bideford Bay 50km will see runners climb a total of 5,000 feet during the arduous coast path course, much of it during the first 17 miles.
It will start at Hartland Square, head towards the cliff at Hartland Quay and then continue along the coast path before finishing at Victoria Park in Bideford.
Race director Adrian Colwill of Beacon Running is supporting the Chemo Appeal with the event and participants are urged to raise as much sponsorship as they can.
You may also want to watch:
“The Chemotherapy Appeal is close to my heart,” said Adrian.
“My mother received chemotherapy treatment and sadly passed away, but I know how important a new unit will be to the people of North Devon.
- 1 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 2 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 3 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 4 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 5 Council bids for Levelling Up funding for Ilfracombe
- 6 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 7 MP opens new Northam Burrows Visitor Centre at Westward Ho!
- 8 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 9 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 10 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
“I am passionate in running ultra-marathons, and have done lots already. I am very excited to offer runners the opportunity to run the new Bideford Bay 50km, and what better way of turning your efforts into money for the chemotherapy appeal.”
Participants include South West athlete Izzy Wykes, who was the highest placed British female in this year’s CCC, part of the Ultra Trail du Mont Blanc (UTMB) race series and Andrew Furguson, Race director for the Mud Crew Trail Runners RAT series.
In March Beacon Running is organising a second event, The Wreckers Challenge - a 50 mile coastal challenge, starting at Bude and follow the South West Coast Path into North Devon, again finishing in Bideford.
Adrian himself is running several events in aid of appeal. He ran 164km in The Cotswold Way recently, and plans to run 173 in the Spine Challenge in January, then he is training for a gruelling 296km for the Thames T184 in August 2014.
To enter or to find out more about either the Bideford Bay 50km and or the Wreckers Challenge, and to get Chemo Appeal sponsorship forms go to www.beaconrunning.org.uk or email Adrian on firstname.lastname@example.org or call 07527 536817.