Many thanks to Father Geoff
SIR - I note the extensive media coverage of the silver jubilee of the priestly ordination of Father |Geoffrey Squire, now priest at St Paul s Church, Landkey, and the reference made to the Youthlink organisation that he founded and continued as its senio
SIR - I note the extensive media coverage of the silver jubilee of the priestly ordination of Father |Geoffrey Squire, now priest at St Paul's Church, Landkey, and the reference made to the Youthlink organisation that he founded and continued as its senior leader until very recently.
However, the comment about Father Geoff and Youthlink is just the tip of a very big story.
When I joined a Youthlink group that was under the leadership of Father Geoff, I was aged 15 and had suffered years of physical and sexual abuse and constant and often violent repeated bullying and was a very unhappy lad.
Joining that Youthlink group changed my life beyond all recognition. For the first time ever I felt very safe and among real friends. I was supported in reporting the abuse and bullying and, with my abusive step-father out of the way and the bullies expelled from school, I was so happy.
You may also want to watch:
Now I am happily married with two lovely children, a school teacher and living in our own lovely home and this is beyond my wildest dreams. I know that I am not the only one whose life changed dramatically for the better on joining one of Father Geoff's Youthlink groups.
I hope that one day my own boys will be able to join a Youthlink group. My deep regret is that it will not be a group under the leadership of Father Geoff. However, he is aged 73 and deserves his well-earned retirement. Thank you, Father Geoff.
- 1 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 2 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 3 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 4 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 5 Northam Murder: Judge tells jury to put aside emotion
- 6 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
- 7 £60,000 street marshal investment to make North Devon safer
- 8 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 9 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
- 10 Lockdown breaker caught dealing cannabis in Barnstaple
Name and address supplied.