Man who lodged truck on pebble ridge was more than three times legal limit
- Credit: Archant
Robert Goaman was also caught drink driving less than a week before after accidentally setting back on fire after drinking.
A MAN who was caught drink driving after accidentally setting his back on fire managed to lodge his car on Westward Ho! pebble ridge less than two weeks later.
Robert Goaman, 39, of Armada Way in Westward Ho! pleaded guilty to two charges of drink driving – both times he was more than three times the legal limit.
Police first stopped Goaman on February 12 after they recognised his Mitsubishi L200 truck driving through Westward Ho! and bumping the pavement several times.
The court heard Goaman had consumed ‘a few’ drinks and fallen asleep in front of a gas fire before waking up to find his back covered in flames.
You may also want to watch:
“He burnt his back quite badly – and he has shown me the quite considerable scars today,” said Tony Dart, defending.
“Instead of calling an ambulance or going to hospital he took the far more foolish decision of trying to drive to his friend’s house.”
- 1 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 2 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
- 3 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 4 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 5 New Archdeacon of Barnstaple begins her role at special service in Bideford
- 6 Holidaymaker jailed for attacking partner in Ilfracombe
- 7 Man seriously injured at Appledore Quay - Witness Appeal
- 8 Northam man who searched for child pornography sent on treatment course
- 9 Sale of Bideford's Brunswick Wharf completed
- 10 PICTURES: Women 'Walk Taller Than The Trees' at Nightwalk 2021
Less than two weeks later on February 23, Goaman was at a friend’s house in Hartland before his friend drove them both back to Westward Ho! in the same truck.
But Goaman, who had drank a large amount of red wine, insisted on having a go at driving the truck ‘off road’ and up the pebble ridge once they had arrived.
His friend described seeing him mount the ridge and go over it, before attempting to get back over and lodging the car on the top of it, becoming stuck.
Police were called by members of the public who found Goaman sat in the driver’s seat with a box of red wine in the car which he had been drinking from.
The court heard Goaman had serious issues with alcohol and had been banned from driving twice for drink driving offences previously in 2001 and 2010.
He was also in breach of a suspended sentence issued by Exeter Crown Court in December 2013 for an issue which also involved alcohol.
Magistrates imposed an interim driving disqualification and sent the matter for sentencing to Exeter Crown Court on April 3 at 10am.