Man rescued after falling from Barnstaple bridge
- Credit: Archant
Emergency services called out in the early hours after man falls from bridge and breaks ankle.
EMERGENCY services rushed to the River Taw in Barnstaple during the early hours of Saturday morning after a man fell from one of the town bridges.
The fire service said two crews from Barnstaple plus its specialist rescue team discovered the casualty on the stanchion of the bridge just before 4am.
It appeared he had broken his ankle and was unable to climb up the embankment and save himself.
It is thought he fell from the town centre Longbridge, but which bridge it was has yet to be confirmed.
You may also want to watch:
It is not yet known if he attempted to jump or whether the fall was an accident.
Police and South Western Ambulance Service were also in attendance.
- 1 Homeless man jailed after attacking Barnstaple soldier in McDonald's
- 2 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 3 MISSING: Police search for David Kose from Ilfracombe
- 4 Street food traders revealed for South Molton Food and Drink Festival
- 5 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
- 6 Barnstaple dealer says £3,100 stash in loft was poor quality
- 7 New details on Barnstaple town centre regeneration revealed
- 8 Celebrating 15 years of North Devon charity Families in Grief
- 9 North Devon Emergency Department in top ten for patient experience
- 10 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
Fire fighters donned dry suits and used an inflatable walkway plus a buoyancy aid and a battery operated saw in order to rescue the man and leave him in the care of paramedics.