Man killed when van dropped down 40ft embankment named
- Credit: Archant
The motorist has been named by police at 19-year-old Luke Lyons from Bampton.
A MOTORIST who died after his car left the road and fell 40ft down an embankment on Friday has been named by police as Luke Lyons from Bampton.
The 19-year-old, the only occupant of the vehicle, was pronounced dead at the scene of the crash on the A396 near Bampton.
Emergency services were alerted to the incident, just south of Cove near Bickleigh Wood, at around 4.50pm.
On Facebook earlier that day, family members posted a photo of Luke, saying he had not been seen or heard from since leaving for work some time between 6am and 6.30am.
You may also want to watch:
The photo, which appealed for help in finding the missing teenager after he failed to turn up for work, had been shared more than 1,500 times.
It is believed he had left for work in a sliver Renault Clio van, which he normally drove from Bampton to Bideford.
- 1 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
- 2 Drink driver banned after Ilfracombe Lidl crash
- 3 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 4 Braunton assault leaves teen with 'serious head injuries' - witness appeal
- 5 Scream mask knifeman caused terror at Barnstaple play park
- 6 Contractor appointed to repair Rock Park Bridge
- 7 Man, 22, arrested after cyclist dies in Bideford crash
- 8 Yelland Quay development refused - Campaigners celebrate
- 9 North Devon benefit fiddler must cash in pension to repay the money
- 10 Plans to demolish and redevelop Barnstaple Civic Centre finally submitted
According to his Facebook page, Luke worked at AB Special Projects Groundworks in Bideford. A police spokesman said enquiries were ongoing and next of kin were being informed – but he could not yet formally confirm the identity of the driver as Luke Lyons.
A group has been set up on Facebook called “RIP Luke Lyons <3” where family and friends have paid tribute to the young man.
Mel Harris, who created the group, wrote: “RIP Luke. Such a wonderful, kind, gentle inspirational person. You will be so sadly missed :( ”
Hannah Greenslade wrote: “Rest in Peace Luke! :( Such a lovely lad who will be remembered by everyone! Gone too soon, but you will never be forgotten for the kind young man you are! Xxxx”
Katrina Ascott said: “Only the good die young, just floated a bit close to the sun. Rest in peace and my thoughts are with all the family and friends xx”
Police are appealing for witnesses to contact them on 101 quoting log number 515 25/01/13.