Man in court over Bideford hotel blaze
Suspect, 63, remanded in custody to face crown court trial on June 17
A 63-year-old man has appeared in court accused of setting fire to a Bideford hotel.
Anthony Westhead, from Folkstone, Kent, appeared before North Devon Magistrates in Barnstaple today (Thursday) charged with arson with intent to endanger life.
More than 50 guests fled the building and four were rescued from the roof after fire broke out at Tantons Hotel in the early hours of Tuesday.
Sixty fire fighters and eight fire engines were used to tackle the blaze on the third floor of the Grade II listed riverside hotel.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Westhead did not enter a plea and has been remanded in custody for trial at Exeter Crown Court on June 17.
- 1 Bungling Northam burglar facing jail
- 2 North Devon sign West Indian pace bowler
- 3 MP nominates North Devon champions for Levelling Up Awards
- 4 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 5 'ThINK it through before you tattoo' urges council
- 6 5-year-old Emily signs up to Appledore RNLI Mayday Mile Event
- 7 Ilfracombe man, 64, must pay compensation for baseball bat attack
- 8 People in North Devon urged to take up the vaccine to help protect others
- 9 Conservatives maintain control of Devon County Council despite losses
- 10 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl