Man in court over Bideford hotel blaze
Suspect, 63, remanded in custody to face crown court trial on June 17
A 63-year-old man has appeared in court accused of setting fire to a Bideford hotel.
Anthony Westhead, from Folkstone, Kent, appeared before North Devon Magistrates in Barnstaple today (Thursday) charged with arson with intent to endanger life.
More than 50 guests fled the building and four were rescued from the roof after fire broke out at Tantons Hotel in the early hours of Tuesday.
Sixty fire fighters and eight fire engines were used to tackle the blaze on the third floor of the Grade II listed riverside hotel.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Westhead did not enter a plea and has been remanded in custody for trial at Exeter Crown Court on June 17.
- 1 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 2 Northam murder suspect accused of telling a 'litany of lies' about killing
- 3 South Molton pub attacker must pay compensation after kicking customer in head
- 4 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
- 5 £60,000 street marshal investment to make North Devon safer
- 6 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
- 7 Crash and assault in Ilfracombe - Police appeal
- 8 Six people injured in serious crash on A39 near Barnstaple - Police appeal
- 9 Busy thirteen days for Appledore RNLI
- 10 Changes to reporting planning breaches in North Devon