Man in court over Bideford fire
Arson charge follows house fire.
A man has appeared in court following a house fire in Bideford.
Samuel Oates, 29, from Barnstaple, appeared at North Devon Magistrates’ Court following a blaze at South View Terrace on Wednesday night.
The defendant indicated a guilty plea to a charge of arson with intent to cause damage or endanger life.
Two men were taken to North Devon District Hospital following the incident, and one was still in intensive care on Thursday with serious burn injuries to his hands.
You may also want to watch:
The other was treated for smoke inhalation but had no life-threatening injuries.
The case has been referred to Exeter Crown Court for sentencing on February 3.
- 1 Aldi plans for three new stores in North Devon
- 2 MISSING: Police search for Peter Hughes from Combe Martin area
- 3 'Kinky Boots' coming to Barnstaple's Queen's Theatre
- 4 North Devon charity organises Routes of Remembrance
- 5 Developer sponsors Shammy FC youth teams
- 6 North Devon Healthcare trust scores high in patient survey
- 7 'Neglected' North Devon taxi firm challenged by councillors
- 8 Firework display set to return to Barnstaple Rugby Club for 2021
- 9 Devon health boss 'concerned' at low Covid booster uptake
- 10 Team to lead community-focussed Gazette into new era