Man in court over Bideford fire
Arson charge follows house fire.
A man has appeared in court following a house fire in Bideford.
Samuel Oates, 29, from Barnstaple, appeared at North Devon Magistrates’ Court following a blaze at South View Terrace on Wednesday night.
The defendant indicated a guilty plea to a charge of arson with intent to cause damage or endanger life.
Two men were taken to North Devon District Hospital following the incident, and one was still in intensive care on Thursday with serious burn injuries to his hands.
You may also want to watch:
The other was treated for smoke inhalation but had no life-threatening injuries.
The case has been referred to Exeter Crown Court for sentencing on February 3.
- 1 Braunton assault leaves teen with 'serious head injuries' - witness appeal
- 2 Scream mask knifeman caused terror at Barnstaple play park
- 3 Contractor appointed to repair Rock Park Bridge
- 4 HubHop - New shopping app for independent shops in North Devon
- 5 Yelland Quay development refused - Campaigners celebrate
- 6 Nightwalk returns for 2021 with brand-new venue
- 7 Rotarians have great time helping Lampard School pupils
- 8 North Devon benefit fiddler must cash in pension to repay the money
- 9 Man, 22, arrested after cyclist dies in Bideford crash
- 10 Plans to demolish and redevelop Barnstaple Civic Centre finally submitted