Man hospitalised after Holsworthy barn fire
A man was taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation yesterday (Thursday) afternoon following a barn fire at Holsworthy.
Holsworthy, Hatherleigh and Bude fire crews were called to the scene on the A3072 Windmill Road just before 3pm, together with the water carrier from Barnstaple.
The barn was well alight and all of the 50 plus straw bales inside were destroyed by the blaze, together with around a quarter of the structure.
Fire-fighters used two breathing apparatus sets, two hose reel jets, one main jet, a water shuttle via the water bowser and a mechanical digger to extinguish the fire and remove the contents from the barn.
The casualty received treatment for smoke inhalation before being taken to hospital by South Western Ambulance Service.
The fire service said it was also a minor asbestos incident.
- 1 Christmas Drive-In Cinema coming to Barnstaple
- 2 Indecent exposure near Barnstaple park under investigation
- 3 Bideford Christmas Light Switch On dates announced
- 4 OPINION: Realising the full potential of the Celtic Sea - Selaine Saxby
- 5 Hip-hop comes to Torrington Dental Practice
- 6 Property of the Week: Hanson Park - Northam
- 7 OPINION: Myth busting the Green Lanes purchase - David Worden
- 8 Hero soldier auctioning medals to provide ‘best opportunities’ for his children
- 9 Bring the children to see Santa at Chivenor Christmas Craft Market
- 10 Get dressed up to Race the Reindeer in Bideford this Christmas