Man flipped car after speeding towards Bideford
- Credit: Archant
Driver lost control after friend told him to slow down
A BIDEFORD man who flipped his car on his way home from Barnstaple has appeared before magistrates.
Liam John Spear, 18, of Orchard Hill, had been travelling on the B3233 between Instow and Bideford well above the speed limit when he lost control of the car at around 9pm on September 27, North Devon Magistrates’ Court heard on Friday.
Spear had three young passengers in the car with him, one of whom said he was travelling at 80mph.
Spear said he lost control under heavy braking after another of the passengers told him to slow down.
You may also want to watch:
All of the passengers managed to get out of the overturned car, but two of them needed months of treatment and rehabilitation for serious injuries.
Defence solicitor Mike Rowe said: “Mr Spear is extremely sorry for what happened and certainly didn’t set out to cause injuries to any of his friends.
- 1 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 2 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 3 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 4 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 5 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 6 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 7 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
- 8 Appledore RNLI's Matt Rowe passes out as lifeboat mechanic
- 9 Six people injured in serious crash on A39 near Barnstaple - Police appeal
- 10 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
“As I understand it, they are still friends and socialised together as recently as last week.”
Sitting magistrate Paul Cooper ordered Spear to pay a total of £305 and handed him seven penalty points on his licence.
As Spear passed his driving test less than a year ago, the penalty points will force him to retake his test.