Disaster averted by firefighters tackling late night cooker blaze

A MAN had a lucky escape after fire engulfed a kitchen in Bideford last night (Tuesday).

Two fire crews from the town were called to tackle the blaze in a ground floor flat in Newton Road at around 10.30pm.

The fire, thought to involve a cooker, was extinguished with one hose reel and a covering jet by fire fighters wearing breathing apparatus.

The casualty was treated on scene by paramedics for smoke inhalation before being transferred to hospital.