Man finds ‘kidney’ in KFC meal
- Credit: Archant
Fast food firm apologies after grim discovery in Family Feast meal.
A BARNSTAPLE man who discovered what he thought to be ‘worms’ in his KFC meal has vowed never to eat there again – despite being offered free food by the company.
The Roundswell man, who has asked not to be named, made the grisly discovery while eating a Family Feast chicken dinner at home with his family on December 17 last year.
He said: “I started tucking in and thought it didn’t taste very good so took a closer look.
“It looked like there were worms in the chicken so I just spat it out immediately.”
You may also want to watch:
He took pictures of the meal bought at the KFC restaurant in Roundswell on his mobile phone and telephoned the firm’s customer service number to complain.
The company has since said that the ‘foreign body’ was a kidney rather than worms and has offered him a full apology, as well as a voucher for a 12-piece family feast.
- 1 £34,000 raised for plumber Jed Mason with stage four cancer in less than 48 hours
- 2 Barnstaple dealer says £3,100 stash in loft was poor quality
- 3 One of Bideford's oldest tea rooms sold at auction
- 4 New details on Barnstaple town centre regeneration revealed
- 5 Homeless man jailed after attacking Barnstaple soldier in McDonald's
- 6 Brunswick Wharf developer given grant money to fix quay wall
- 7 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 8 Opening of new nature reserve in Lynton
- 9 MISSING: Police search for David Kose from Ilfracombe
- 10 Street food traders revealed for South Molton Food and Drink Festival
“I’m quite keen on my shooting and prepare quite a lot of birds but I’ve never seen a kidney like that,” he added.
“And I wouldn’t use those vouchers even if my dog was starving to death. It’s really poor quality and you wouldn’t expect it of a worldwide organisation like that.”
In a letter to the customer, KFC said: “The photo has been viewed by our technical department and they confirmed the foreign body has been identified as a kidney.
“Although totally natural and not in any way harmful we fully appreciate that it is unsightly and unappetising for many people.
“We would like to assure customers that KFC is firmly committed to providing great service to our customers.
“Our aim is to provide 100 per cent customer satisfaction on every visit and we apologise for failing to do so on this occasion.”
When contacted by the Gazette, a spokesperson for the company added: “We sell 200 million pieces of chicken every year and always try to ensure the highest standards in every restaurant.
“However because all our chicken on the bone is freshly prepared by hand, unfortunately on extremely rare occasions, human error can mean that a giblet is not removed in the preparation process.
“After an investigation we can confirm that this was the case and while there was no health risk, we agree it was unsightly. We have apologised with a gesture of goodwill and have reminded staff to pay extra attention when preparing our chicken to ensure this doesn’t happen again.”