Man arrested over alleged rape in Winkleigh
- Credit: Archant
The 19-year-old has been released on bail while police appeal for witnesses to the incident on Sunday, July 7.
A19-YEAR-OLD man has been arrested on suspicion of rape after an incident in Winkleigh in the early hours of Sunday morning.
Police were initially called to the village at around 12.30am after reports that a fight was taking place close to the village hall.
But when they arrived at the scene, an allegation of sexual assault on a young woman was made.
The victim is believed to have left the scene and walked along Townsend Hill and police are appealing to any passing motorists who may have seen her between 10pm on Saturday and 12.30am on Sunday.
You may also want to watch:
In particular, officers are looking to identify a Citroen Picasso vehicle which is reporter to have nearly knocked her over.
The 19-year-old has been released on police bail until September.
- 1 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 2 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 3 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 4 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 5 Northam Murder: Judge tells jury to put aside emotion
- 6 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
- 7 £60,000 street marshal investment to make North Devon safer
- 8 Northam murder suspect accused of telling a 'litany of lies' about killing
- 9 South Molton pub attacker must pay compensation after kicking customer in head
- 10 Lockdown breaker caught dealing cannabis in Barnstaple
Anyone with any information is asked to call police on non-emergency number 101 quoting crime reference CT/13/385.