Making waves at Cowes
- Credit: Archant
Chivenor businessman takes part in the famous Round the Island Race at the Isle of Wight.
LOCAL business man, Charlie Burridge and his 75 foot yacht, the Anore, entered and completed the Round the Island Race at Cowes on June 1.
This year more than 1,500 boats and some 16,000 sailors took part, making it the largest and most spectacular yacht race of its kind in the world.
This legendary race first started in 1931 and then attracted 25 yachts.
The course is approximately 50 nautical miles running around the Isle of Wight and Charlie with his crew Robbie Hamilton, Tony Reeves, Rob Owen, Richard Bendy, Three-Fingered Pete, Stephen Harris, Linda Killner, Angie Ball and Nik were delighted with the Anore’s performance and had a great day sailing in the Classic Yacht Race section.
Sponsored by Chivenor Trade Centre Hire, this was her first race in the UK and with the name Anore meaning ‘favourable wind’ together with 2,500 square feet of sail; she completed the race in good time.
Brought over from America, where she was custom built in 1978 for Thomas Clagett Junior, who with his wife Nancy had sailed her around America and to Australia. The yacht is now moored on the Isle of Wight.
- 1 Popular character Joan dies at 92
- 2 Rishi's thumbs up to £60m investment and 200 new jobs
- 3 Why Lorna gave up working from an office to build a business around passion for surfing
- 4 These companies are out to tempt you before you're out of nappies
- 5 Young Jack strides out again for charity
- 6 Tennis ace Eric follows in Max's fund-raising footsteps
- 7 Urgent appeal goes out to help keep teenagers off the streets
- 8 Village halls offered cash helping hand in Covid battle
- 9 OPINION: The North Devon Hospice has come so far
- 10 Superb win on the road sets 2022 tone for Bideford
More details can be found on the website www.anore.co.uk together with a video taken on board during the race.
At Chivenor Trade Centre Hire you will find a large selection of cars, vans and minibuses for hire - located on the Chivenor Roundabout and open seven days a week. For details call 01271 815915 or visit www.chivenortradecentre.co.uk