Making waves at Cowes
- Credit: Archant
Chivenor businessman takes part in the famous Round the Island Race at the Isle of Wight.
LOCAL business man, Charlie Burridge and his 75 foot yacht, the Anore, entered and completed the Round the Island Race at Cowes on June 1.
This year more than 1,500 boats and some 16,000 sailors took part, making it the largest and most spectacular yacht race of its kind in the world.
This legendary race first started in 1931 and then attracted 25 yachts.
The course is approximately 50 nautical miles running around the Isle of Wight and Charlie with his crew Robbie Hamilton, Tony Reeves, Rob Owen, Richard Bendy, Three-Fingered Pete, Stephen Harris, Linda Killner, Angie Ball and Nik were delighted with the Anore’s performance and had a great day sailing in the Classic Yacht Race section.
You may also want to watch:
Sponsored by Chivenor Trade Centre Hire, this was her first race in the UK and with the name Anore meaning ‘favourable wind’ together with 2,500 square feet of sail; she completed the race in good time.
Brought over from America, where she was custom built in 1978 for Thomas Clagett Junior, who with his wife Nancy had sailed her around America and to Australia. The yacht is now moored on the Isle of Wight.
- 1 Bideford town centre regeneration plan backed by council
- 2 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 3 Bideford Pannier Market offers traders new deal
- 4 Chaos guaranteed at the first Bideford Soapbox Derby
- 5 Barnstaple Pannier Market support return of Barnstaple In Bloom
- 6 North Devon MP Selaine Saxby leads World Ocean Day debate
- 7 North Devon builders bums needed for charity calendar
- 8 Barnstaple Roundtable focuses on the importance of defibrillators
- 9 Torrington gears up for North Devon’s BIGGEST EVER Table Top Sale
- 10 North Devon woman reveals huge collection of HM Queen portraits and memorabilia
More details can be found on the website www.anore.co.uk together with a video taken on board during the race.
At Chivenor Trade Centre Hire you will find a large selection of cars, vans and minibuses for hire - located on the Chivenor Roundabout and open seven days a week. For details call 01271 815915 or visit www.chivenortradecentre.co.uk