Major refurbishments unveiled for Torridge Pool
- Credit: Archant
New dance studio opens at Northam centre and next month will see big changes at the gym.
A new £135,000 dance and exercise studio opens its doors at Torridge Pool in Northam on Monday (November 25).
New plans have also been announced to refurbish the gym at the Benson Drive site with state-of-the-art technology.
The new dance studio is part of a joint partnership scheme between 1610, which manages the facility and Torridge District Council.
The development has taken two months to complete and will provide a new sprung floor for the studio, improved lighting, ventilation, mirrored walls and ballet bars.
You may also want to watch:
The gym is to undergo major refurbishment, and it will be one of the first leisure centres in the UK to be fitted with new interactive Technogym ‘mywellness cloud’ technology to its cardio vascular equipment.
This will allow users to monitor their fitness both in and outside the gym and to update their fitness programmes with centre staff.
- 1 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 2 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 3 Ilfracombe dressage star Caitlin Burgess pursues Olympic dream
- 4 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 5 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
- 6 North Devon grandad takes on 700 mile cycling challenge
- 7 Drink driver banned after Ilfracombe Lidl crash
- 8 Surf trio take on epic surf paddle challenge in memory of best friends
- 9 Holsworthy conveyancer crowned Young Practitioner of the Year
- 10 HubHop - New shopping app for independent shops in North Devon
Work begins on Monday, December 9 and will see 29 fitness stations such as treadmills and cross trainers being installed, along with free weights and a new stretch area. The gym will also be redecorated and new flooring fitted.
The work will take up to a week to complete and an alternative area for members to work out is being organised.
“The new studio will be a great asset and will allow us to provide a greater variety of classes and services for members as well as a superb venue to enjoy,” said general manager Richard Bean.
“We are very lucky to be one of the first in the UK to have integrated Technogym mywellness cloud touch screen gym technology. Users will be able to access TV channels and internet, social media as well as monitor their own fitness levels.”
TDC’s lead member for health, Councillor Andy Boyd added: “This is a great facility for local residents and I hope the new classes being offered will attract even more people through the doors.”