Magnificent Seven Ride Again
Intrepid fund raisers take to seven seater bicycle once more for charity.
SEVEN COUNTIES, 14 pairs of legs, one set of handlebars and 10 days can only mean one thing – the ‘Magnificent Seven’ ride again.
For a second year running the intrepid ‘Mag 7’ fund raisers are set to climb aboard a seven seater bicycle this September and pedal a circuitous route from Barnstaple to Gloucestershire to raise money for Children’s Hospice South West.
David Butt, Steve Warner and friends are once gain determined to shake off the memories of saddle sores and climb aboard the rather unique cycle that last year carried them 238 miles and raised �10,077 in the process.
This time they plan to travel even further, going from Barnstaple to Launceston on the first day, before cutting across South and East Devon, Dorset and across Salisbury Plain to Bath and beyond.
You may also want to watch:
Once again, Old English Inns, which owns the cedars in Barnstaple, is providing free bed and breakfast accommodation for the team of 10 at its premises enroute.
The journey itself will see seven cyclists faced each other in a circle as they pedal, with one steering. The machine has just a single gear and can prove challenging to control.
- 1 £34,000 raised for plumber Jed Mason with stage four cancer in less than 48 hours
- 2 One of Bideford's oldest tea rooms sold at auction
- 3 Barnstaple dealer says £3,100 stash in loft was poor quality
- 4 New details on Barnstaple town centre regeneration revealed
- 5 Brunswick Wharf developer given grant money to fix quay wall
- 6 Opening of new nature reserve in Lynton
- 7 Homeless man jailed after attacking Barnstaple soldier in McDonald's
- 8 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 9 MISSING: Police search for David Kose from Ilfracombe
- 10 Celebrations as gate to Pilton's Manning's Pit officially opened
But it certainly draws the eye and last year plenty of people came out to support the cyclists as they made their way between the Children’s Hospices in Cornwall, Barnstaple and Bristol.
“Everyone was interested, it caught the imagination so we decided to go further and harder this year in an attempt to raise even more,” said David.
“VW Silver Street Automotive has for a second year lent us a van with a tow bar, so thank you once again to Mike Irvine for his support.”
The team, will be at Pilton Festival on Saturday and is keen to encourage as many people as possible to donate or sponsor them.
They are particularly in need of a seven seater vehicle for the trip, to transport those not riding and are keen to hear from any local companies or individuals willing to loan one.
To find out more, call David Butt on 07818 037726, visit Mag Seven Ride Again on Facebook or donate via www.justgiving.com/mag7rideagain