Magnificent murmuration of starlings at Exmoor Zoo
- Credit: John Hammond
Thousands of whirling visitors descend on the attraction each evening in stunning displays of flight.
EXMOOR Zoo staff have been feeling like extras in a scene from Hitchcock’s The Birds of late as thousands of starlings flock to the attraction each evening.
Every night between 5.15-5.30pm the skies darken as huge murmurations of starlings descend on the attraction near Bratton Fleming to roost.
The wheeling flocks are not threatening of course, but mesmerising as they create intricate patterns in the air, to the delight of watchers.
“The murmurations are amazing with large flocks coming in from all directions until they all finally settle for the night,” said Lynn Reynolds, zoo director and commercial manager.
You may also want to watch:
“They are amazing and so is the noise of thousands of starlings, the mess they leave behind is certainly keeping the keepers busy each morning.”
These pictures were taken by John Hammond and you can also watch the zoo’s video here of the starlings in magnificent murmuration.
- 1 Bideford town centre regeneration plan backed by council
- 2 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 3 Bideford Pannier Market offers traders new deal
- 4 Chaos guaranteed at the first Bideford Soapbox Derby
- 5 Barnstaple Pannier Market support return of Barnstaple In Bloom
- 6 North Devon MP Selaine Saxby leads World Ocean Day debate
- 7 North Devon builders bums needed for charity calendar
- 8 Barnstaple Roundtable focuses on the importance of defibrillators
- 9 Torrington gears up for North Devon’s BIGGEST EVER Table Top Sale
- 10 North Devon woman reveals huge collection of HM Queen portraits and memorabilia