Magnificent Mary is back on her tractor
- Credit: Archant
Fund raiser Mary Phillips is off on another epic tractor run to raise money for charity.
A familiar face at Hatherleigh Market has decided to take to the road once more with her trusty tractor for a second 975 mile charity run.
Last year 72-year-old Mary Phillips, a well figure in both Devon and Cornwall, drove her Field Marshall Series 3A tractor from John O’ Groats to Lands End – at a sedate nine miles per hour – on behalf of both counties’ air ambulance charities.
This June she is doing it again, setting off from Lands End this time and she hopes to top the £15,000 raised last year.
A second tractor has also entered the tale after Richard Bardwill from Holsworthy donated a grey 1955 Ferguson for Mary to raffle off to raise money.
You may also want to watch:
“People are so generous,” said Mary, who is from St Teath in Cornwall.
“I have been raising money as far back as I can remember. Last year was such a wonderful experience and I was so proud to be able to do it. It was just a shame it rained so much, practically the whole way!”
- 1 PICTURES: Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall visit The Burton at Bideford
- 2 Jewellery and cash stolen in Barnstaple burglary
- 3 Northam Murder: Accused carer told police he 'loved her to bits'
- 4 Rosemoor transforms into Wonderland for the summer holidays
- 5 Bideford man dies after Link Road crash near South Molton
- 6 PICTURES: Duchess of Cornwall visits Little Bridge House in Fremington
- 7 Britain’s most influential artists exhibit at The Burton at Bideford
- 8 £100K funding to Torridge towns to support recovery post Covid-19
- 9 Braunton Caen Rotary welcomes their youngest ever club president
- 10 Northam widow was found half under her bed by carer
Mary would like to hear from anyone who would like to sponsor her trip, or can offer the use of a lorry to bring her tractor back from Scotland.
Anyone who can help or would like to buy raffle tickets or books of tickets to sell, can call her on 01840 211501 or drop in to Devtrac at Hillsmoor in Hatherleigh, telephone 01837 811050.