Magical New Year’s Eve party planned for Bideford
- Credit: Archant
Disney-themed celebrations set to welcome in 2014.
BIDEFORD will be ‘open for business’ this New Year’s Eve – that’s the message from organisers of the town’s legendary quayside party.
Most of the town’s pubs and licensed premises have pledged to open their doors through into the New Year, according to The Bideford Festival Committee.
And this year’s Disney-themed celebrations are set to take on a real family feel with a free children’s party in the pannier market from 4pm, culminating with a lantern procession on the Quayside at 6.30pm.
There will be a disco and games on the former Radio One roadshow stage, as well as a ‘Stars in their Eyes’ competition, hosted by The Voice.
You may also want to watch:
The town will see in 2014 with a spectacular firework display at midnight.
Committee chairman Phil Morgan said: “New Year’s Eve in Bideford this year is going to be an amazing event; we’ve really taken time to listen to the wants of the community and put together a package of entertainment that truly is fun for the whole family.
- 1 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 2 Bideford Pannier Market offers traders new deal
- 3 Chaos guaranteed at the first Bideford Soapbox Derby
- 4 Barnstaple Roundtable focuses on the importance of defibrillators
- 5 Torrington gears up for North Devon’s BIGGEST EVER Table Top Sale
- 6 North Devon builders bums needed for charity calendar
- 7 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 8 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 9 North Devon MP Selaine Saxby leads World Ocean Day debate
- 10 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
“We wanted to organise something that families could participate in and enjoy together – I am incredibly grateful to Bideford Town Council and everyone at the market who has given so willingly of their time to pull this together and help make it a truly memorable event for all the right reasons.”
Mr Morgan said he’d spoken with all of the landlords in the area, and all but one establishment would be open to the public at New Year.
“Most of them are offering either prizes for the fancy dress competitions, sponsoring an element at New Year or simply offering revellers discounts or promotions if they turn up in fancy dress,” he said.
Among them are Emma and Pete Bowman, managers of Bideford’s new Wetherspoon pub, The Rose Salterne.
Mrs Bowman said: “We want the night to be fun and exciting; Disney appeals to all ages and we’ll look forward to welcoming everyone to The Rose Salterne on New Year’s Eve with our doors open until 1am.”
For a full list of participating pubs and licensed premises, find the newly formed ‘Businesses of Bideford’ group on Facebook.