Lynton car park re-opens
Repairs cost �20,000
A residents’ car park near Lynton is now back in use following the completion of repair work at the site.
The Lynbridge car park was closed in May last year after North Devon Council’s engineers found it was structurally unsafe.
Discussions then began with Lynton and Lynmouth Town Council to come up with a solution to repair the structure.
Executive Member for Community, Councillor Yvette Gubb, said: “When the car park closed, the residents who had nominated spaces found they had to park on the street. This caused traffic issues, especially in the summer months with coaches struggling to get through the small road. Therefore we were pleased to work with Lynton and Lynmouth Town Council to reach a solution.”
The repair work cost �20,000 and was funded by North Devon Council with the town council overseeing the repairs.
Mayor of Lynton and Lynmouth, Councillor Tim Parker, said: “I commend the staff at the town council who carried out the restoration. Not only did they do a fantastic job, but by keeping the construction work in-house, they also managed to do the work for a third of the cost of contracting out.”
- 1 Village halls offered cash helping hand in Covid battle
- 2 MP Selaine backs plans for boost to workers' pensions
- 3 Small steps of hope for Bideford and Barnstaple
- 4 Superb win on the road sets 2022 tone for Bideford
- 5 Store giants say Merry Christmas 9,000 times over
- 6 OPINION: The North Devon Hospice has come so far
- 7 SWW warns: 'Don't be frozen out'
- 8 Rishi's thumbs up to £60m investment and 200 new jobs
- 9 Property of the Week: Some of the finest views of North Devon's coast
- 10 Steve’s family and friends bring Christmas to hospital ward
District ward member, Councillor Julian Gurney, said: “The re-opening of this vital structure is a credit to the resourcefulness of the town council and a great example of how joint working with North Devon Council is benefiting our communities.”
Repair work to the car park started in March this year and was completed last week. The car park provides ten reserved parking spaces for residents.