Lynmouth to Minehead bus rides again
- Credit: Archant
Brighter future promised for popular open-top coastal service as Exmoor National park Authority steps in to help ensure it will continue.
THE popular open-top Exmoor 300 Lynmouth to Minehead bus service looks set for a brighter future following a decision by Exmoor National Park Authority to provide it with one-off funding of £30,000.
It is hoped the money, plus changes to ticket options and the introduction of a new single decker open-top vehicle will enable operator Quantock Motor Services Limited to keep it going.
Its future was in doubt last year after Somerset County Council decided to withdraw a subsidy supporting the summer service, but in the end the council agreed to subsidise half.
This year there is no subsidy, but with the National Park’s support and a new business model, including a through link to Ilfracombe from Minehead plus a sight-seeing journey guide, it is hoped the route can become self sustaining.
You may also want to watch:
The authority said developments to the route will be introduced over the summer and it was intended to operate a year around service, with up to five journeys a day, seven days a week, during peak season.
“Local communities and businesses really benefit from the route and there will be opportunities for them to support the service in the future through advertising in the journey guide,” said Frances Nicholson, at the authority.
- 1 UPDATE: Two people airlifted to hospital after A361 Link Road crash
- 2 Heavy traffic in Barnstaple after crash involving car and pedestrian
- 3 North Devon men to swim the English Channel and back again
- 4 Bideford woman wins £70,000 and turns miles into trees
- 5 Torrington school switches to remote learning after Covid cases
- 6 Thieves steal £3,500 of fragrances from Barnstaple department store
- 7 Rescue dog finally finds forever home after more than 200 days
- 8 Farmer who caused lamb ‘unnecessary suffering’ given two year ban
- 9 Farmer fined for ploughing up protected Iron Age remains
- 10 Moore makes mark as North Devon beat Budleigh Salterton
“We’ve been very impressed with the operator’s commitment to provide an ongoing year around service that can stand on its own feet.”