Lundy is ‘excellent value for money’
SIR, In response to the question asked by Rachel Littlejohns last week, ‘Lundy is too pricey’:
Lundy and MS Oldenburg are managed by the Landmark Trust, a charitable non profit making organisation whose aim is to generate only enough income to keep both the ship and the island operating for visitors and future generations to enjoy.
Any surplus generated in good weather years is re-invested back into Lundy to help conserve the island as one the top visitor attractions in the South West.
Lundy enjoys around 20,000 visitors per year who come to enjoy a two hour boat trip on the Oldenburg, our classic and comfortable passenger ship, often accompanied by dolphins on the journey across before arriving at Lundy for a full day out, to soak up its natural beauty, spectacular scenery and outstanding wildlife.
Ticket prices are set to cover our operating costs and only rise when increases are forced upon us for necessities such as fuel.
You may also want to watch:
We do however recognise the present economic climate makes it more difficult for families in particular and we offer a range of discounted sailings during the course of the summer.
We also have a range of discounts available for schools, groups, seniors, students and the friends of Lundy. Details of which can be obtained from either of the Lundy shore offices.
- 1 'ThINK it through before you tattoo' urges council
- 2 Small-time drug dealer 'caught red-handed'
- 3 Ilfracombe man, 64, must pay compensation for baseball bat attack
- 4 Prime minister to give green light for May 17 Covid-19 lockdown easing
- 5 Conservatives maintain control of Devon County Council despite losses
- 6 North Devon sign West Indian pace bowler
- 7 County Council Elections: Candidates for Torridge
- 8 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
- 9 County Council Elections: Candidates for North Devon
- 10 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
The Lundy Co generates more than �2.5m for the local economy, employs 50 staff and supports more than 200 local suppliers as well as generating an unquantifiable income for numerous hotels, B&B’s, holiday parks and other businesses, as well as generating substantial income to local authorities from parking revenue.
Accommodation on Lundy continues to be popular year round with most of our 23 extraordinary self catering properties booked heavily for many months in advance.
Feedback from questionnaires completed by the high number of visitors that we have experienced lately, clearly demonstrates that they perceive Lundy to be excellent value for money and that’s why they continue to return, year after year.
Derek Green, Lundy general manager.