Lucky escape for driver after rock thrown from bridge
Police are appealing for witnesses to help identify two young people spotted on Torridge Bridge on Sunday.
POLICE are appealing for witnesses after a rock was thrown off the Torridge Bridge at a moving vehicle on Sunday afternoon, smashing its windscreen.
Miraculously the driver escaped unhurt but Sgt Paul Searle of the Bideford neighbourhood beat team said it could potentially have been a fatal incident.
The car was travelling under the bridge towards Westleigh at 2.15pm.
Two young people in dark clothing were spotted on the bridge but despite a search, police were unable to locate the suspects.
“We want these people to understand that this could have been a life threatening incident,” said Sgt Searle.
“This is a serious situation; if they are caught they will be arrested and brought in for interview.”
- 1 OPINION: Hi-Tech – Is North Devon ahead or behind the curve?
- 2 Masons donate £20,000 to food banks
- 3 Property of the Week: Some of the finest views of North Devon's coast
- 4 Steve’s family and friends bring Christmas to hospital ward
- 5 Village halls offered cash helping hand in Covid battle
- 6 Specialist fire crews rescue horse trapped in ditch
- 7 North Devon Weekend Football Results
- 8 SWW warns: 'Don't be frozen out'
- 9 MP Selaine backs plans for boost to workers' pensions
- 10 Refresh your New Year’s wardrobe by donating unwanted clothes for a good cause
Anyone with any information is urged to call Police 101 quoting crime reference: CB/12/2130 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.