Loxhore lettuce is a whopper
HOW does your garden grow? Very well in a heatwave, according to Loxhore gardener Sylvia Walker. Sylvia is pictured with a two-foot wide Australian Yellow Leaf lettuce that has sprouted remarkably well after being grown from a seed planted earlier this ye
HOW does your garden grow? Very well in a heatwave, according to Loxhore gardener Sylvia Walker.
Sylvia is pictured with a two-foot wide Australian Yellow Leaf lettuce that has sprouted remarkably well after being grown from a seed planted earlier this year.
The variety usually grows to anything up to 16 inches in diameter, but has taken pride of place in the gardener's vegetable patch alongside a number of other seasonal delights that appear to be thriving thanks to a blend of warm weather and an organic feed mix of comfrey and nettle."We've been growing Australian Yellow Leaf lettuce for five years and I've never seen one as big as this," said Sylvia."The peppers and chillies are also growing well, as are the Spanish Tomatillos, which haven't done quite so well in the past.
"The conditions have also been quite good for our rare chocolate peppers and West Indian gherkins," she added.
You may also want to watch:
Picture: Guy Harrop
- 1 Braunton Caen Rotary welcomes their youngest ever club president
- 2 Britain’s most influential artists exhibit at The Burton at Bideford
- 3 £100K funding to Torridge towns to support recovery post Covid-19
- 4 Rosemoor transforms into Wonderland for the summer holidays
- 5 Northam widow was found half under her bed by carer
- 6 Bideford man dies after Link Road crash near South Molton
- 7 Jewellery and cash stolen in Barnstaple burglary
- 8 PICTURES: Duchess of Cornwall visits Little Bridge House in Fremington
- 9 PICTURES: Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall visit The Burton at Bideford
- 10 Northam Murder: Accused carer told police he 'loved her to bits'