Loxhore lettuce is a whopper
HOW does your garden grow? Very well in a heatwave, according to Loxhore gardener Sylvia Walker. Sylvia is pictured with a two-foot wide Australian Yellow Leaf lettuce that has sprouted remarkably well after being grown from a seed planted earlier this ye
HOW does your garden grow? Very well in a heatwave, according to Loxhore gardener Sylvia Walker.
Sylvia is pictured with a two-foot wide Australian Yellow Leaf lettuce that has sprouted remarkably well after being grown from a seed planted earlier this year.
The variety usually grows to anything up to 16 inches in diameter, but has taken pride of place in the gardener's vegetable patch alongside a number of other seasonal delights that appear to be thriving thanks to a blend of warm weather and an organic feed mix of comfrey and nettle."We've been growing Australian Yellow Leaf lettuce for five years and I've never seen one as big as this," said Sylvia."The peppers and chillies are also growing well, as are the Spanish Tomatillos, which haven't done quite so well in the past.
"The conditions have also been quite good for our rare chocolate peppers and West Indian gherkins," she added.
You may also want to watch:
Picture: Guy Harrop
- 1 Cyclist left with ‘serious head injuries’ after incident in Bideford
- 2 Vandalism at Bideford's Brunswick Wharf development condemned
- 3 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 4 North Devon architectural practice appoints new director
- 5 Bid for £34 million to improve Devon's bus services submitted
- 6 Firework display set to return to Barnstaple Rugby Club for 2021
- 7 New app 'Dscvr' promoting North Devon town centres set to launch
- 8 Meet former Children's Laureate Michael Morpurgo in Barnstaple
- 9 Barnstaple Waterstones to host first event since March 2020
- 10 Volunteers come together to spruce up Barnstaple Train Station