Lost family rescued from Braunton Burrows
- Credit: Archant
Police helicopter searches after mum and young children get lost in the dark.
THE police helicopter helped rescue a distraught mother and her two children after they were lost in the middle of Braunton Burrows last night (Sunday).
Police said they received an emergency call from the ‘panicking’ woman at 7.20pm, who had been walking on the Burrows with her children aged 10 and three, who were becoming cold and upset.
They had been out since 6pm, but as darkness fell she became completely disorientated and couldn’t find her way back to her car park in the dark.
Local police had been talking to her on her mobile phone but could not work out where the family was as she said she could not see any lights or landmarks.
You may also want to watch:
The police helicopter had just completed another job at Launceston and flew to Braunton.
As they approached the helicopter crew telephoned her and used a thermal imaging camera plus night vision goggles to quickly find the three ‘in the middle of the vast area’.
- 1 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 2 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 3 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 4 Holidaymaker jailed for attacking partner in Ilfracombe
- 5 New Archdeacon of Barnstaple begins her role at special service in Bideford
- 6 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
- 7 'Monster' jailed after abuse victim tells judge of his torment
- 8 Great Big Green Week backed by North Devon Council
- 9 Sale of Bideford's Brunswick Wharf completed
- 10 Man left with 'life changing' injuries after assault in Barnstaple
The family were guided onto the helicopter and flown the mile back to their car to be left in the care of local police officers.
Police said the mum and her children were unhurt and allowed to go home.
* Was this you? We’d like to hear about your frightening walk on Braunton Burrows – call us on 01271 345056 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.