Lost family rescued from Braunton Burrows
- Credit: Archant
Police helicopter searches after mum and young children get lost in the dark.
THE police helicopter helped rescue a distraught mother and her two children after they were lost in the middle of Braunton Burrows last night (Sunday).
Police said they received an emergency call from the ‘panicking’ woman at 7.20pm, who had been walking on the Burrows with her children aged 10 and three, who were becoming cold and upset.
They had been out since 6pm, but as darkness fell she became completely disorientated and couldn’t find her way back to her car park in the dark.
Local police had been talking to her on her mobile phone but could not work out where the family was as she said she could not see any lights or landmarks.
You may also want to watch:
The police helicopter had just completed another job at Launceston and flew to Braunton.
As they approached the helicopter crew telephoned her and used a thermal imaging camera plus night vision goggles to quickly find the three ‘in the middle of the vast area’.
- 1 Farmer fined for ploughing up protected Iron Age remains
- 2 Tractor guidance systems taken from farm near Bideford
- 3 North Devon woman reveals huge collection of HM Queen portraits and memorabilia
- 4 Rare vehicles from Dave Vanstone Collection go to auction
- 5 Bideford town centre regeneration plan backed by council
- 6 South Molton youngsters enjoy Land Rover Premiership Rugby Cup
- 7 Bideford woman wins £70,000 and turns miles into trees
- 8 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 9 North Devon men to swim the English Channel and back again
- 10 Thieves steal £3,500 of fragrances from Barnstaple department store
The family were guided onto the helicopter and flown the mile back to their car to be left in the care of local police officers.
Police said the mum and her children were unhurt and allowed to go home.
* Was this you? We’d like to hear about your frightening walk on Braunton Burrows – call us on 01271 345056 or email email@example.com.