Lollipop appeal for Barnstaple ‘rat run’
Help needed at busy school crossing point.
AN appeal has been launched to find a new lollipop person to help children cross the road safely at a well-used Barnstaple ‘rat run’.
Devon County Council has been unable to fill a vacancy left by Yamin Perryman, who retired last December after more than 25 years patrolling outside Our Lady’s Catholic Primary School.
The council’s school crossing patrol manager Andrew Eagles said he had been able to fill a recent vacancy at nearby Bear Street, but a bid to recruit someone to cover the Chanters Hill area had proved fruitless.
“It’s a real worry as we’ve tried all the usual channels but it’s been vacant since Christmas.
You may also want to watch:
“The road is a real rat run without a shadow of a doubt, in the mornings particularly.
“That in itself presents a real problem and it is bound to affect the safe crossing of children and parents two and from the school, and also children walking to nearby Ashleigh Primary School.
- 1 Two vehicle crash near South Molton – Link Road blocked
- 2 Aldi plans for three new stores in North Devon
- 3 'Smash and grab' robbery at Ilfracombe jewellers shop
- 4 Swimbridge Christmas Arts and Crafts Fair returns for 2021
- 5 Barnstaple Enterprise Hub 'Node' launches to support local businesses
- 6 MISSING: Police search for Peter Hughes from Combe Martin area
- 7 Firework display set to return to Barnstaple Rugby Club for 2021
- 8 Cook book to help in Afghanistan produced in South Molton
- 9 Developer sponsors Shammy FC youth teams
- 10 Two burglaries in Barnstaple - Police appeal
“We are looking for someone who can give commitment to the job, full training is given.”
The hours are 8.10-9am and 3.15-3.45pm, Monday to Friday and the pay is �6.30 an hour. Patrols work for 38 weeks of the year with 14 weeks’ paid holiday.
Mr Eagles said the council was also looking to recruit a reserve to cover Chanters Hill and Bear Street.
There is a third position available for someone to provide reserve mobile cover for the whole of Barnstaple, with travelling expenses included.
Anyone interested in the vacancies is asked to contact Mr Eagles on (01392) 382247 or email Andrew.firstname.lastname@example.org