Local pupils to form Olympic ‘guard of honour’
South Molton students among those chosen to line the route to the Olympic Stadium.
SCHOOL children from South Molton Community College will form part of a ‘guard of honour’ to welcome Olympic athletes making their way to the opening ceremony next month.
They will join 2,000 students from 250 schools selected to line the route during the special parade to the Olympic Stadium on July 27.
Youngsters will be holding lanterns and banners they have created to support one of the 204 competing teams. For many of the 10,500 athletes the occasion will be their first experience of the London 2012 Games.
The college was selected through the reward and recognition programme of the Get Set network, the official London 2012 education programme.
You may also want to watch:
Year 9 pupil Will Thorne said: “I am extremely lucky to have been picked; this is a once in a lifetime opportunity and I am ever so grateful to have been selected by my PE staff. I can’t wait to go.
Rebekkah Hoskin, of Year 10, added: “This is going to be a really exciting experience as we will be representing our country. This is an amazing opportunity and I am really looking forward to it and feel honoured to be chosen.”
- 1 Braunton assault leaves teen with 'serious head injuries' - witness appeal
- 2 Scream mask knifeman caused terror at Barnstaple play park
- 3 Contractor appointed to repair Rock Park Bridge
- 4 HubHop - New shopping app for independent shops in North Devon
- 5 Yelland Quay development refused - Campaigners celebrate
- 6 Nightwalk returns for 2021 with brand-new venue
- 7 Rotarians have great time helping Lampard School pupils
- 8 North Devon benefit fiddler must cash in pension to repay the money
- 9 Man, 22, arrested after cyclist dies in Bideford crash
- 10 Plans to demolish and redevelop Barnstaple Civic Centre finally submitted
As well as having the opportunity to cheer on the world’s best athletes, the school children will also get the chance to tour the Olympic Park and see some of the venues before the world turns its attention to Danny Boyle’s opening ceremony later that day.
Athletes will parade nation by nation in alphabetical order, apart from the Greek team which enters first, followed by the Great Britain team as host nation.