Local events secure Olympic cash
A dozen events planned to help North Devon celebrate the games in style.
A DOZEN community events have been granted funding to help North Devon celebrate the Olympics this summer.
Sports clubs, community groups and schools have won a total of �8,200 to help organise a host activities in the region from the arrival of the Torch Relay on Monday, May 21 until the end of the Olympic Games on Sunday, August 12.
The 12 successful events are:
Barnstaple Schools Torch Relay Celebration – �1800
You may also want to watch:
Braunton Schools Torch Relay Celebration, Primary Athletics Festival and Secondary Sports Festival – �900
South Molton Schools Torch Relay Celebration – �400
- 1 Volunteers come together to spruce up Barnstaple Train Station
- 2 New home grown manager for South Molton Swimming Pool
- 3 New council led leisure company Active Torridge appoints director
- 4 Homeless man jailed after attacking Barnstaple soldier in McDonald's
- 5 Murder investigation launched in Bideford after woman found dead
- 6 Appeal launched to raise £100,000 for new play equipment in Bideford
- 7 More than 530 nights in a tent - Max Woosey wins Young Hero Award
- 8 Equestrian star celebrates with sporting royalty
- 9 North Devon's Amy Riley takes her motorsports dream to next level
- 10 Selaine Saxby's Henry to compete for Westminster Dog of the Year
Ilfracombe Sports Clubs Challenge at Brimlands – �300
Combe Martin School gymnastics event – �200
Chulmleigh Schools Celebrating the Olympic Torch Relay – �900
North Devon Special Games opening ceremony – �300
Great Forches Run: Celebrating the Olympic Torch Relay – �500
Great Gorwell Taster Session sports day: Celebrating the Olympic Torch Relay – �500
North Devon Volleyball open – �500
West Exmoor Federation sports day for Lynton, Parracombe and Kentisbury schools –�200
Ilfracombe Schools Torch Relay Celebration – �700
The money has been awarded by North Devon Council (�5,000); Team Devon (�2,500); and Active Villages (�700).
Councillor Derrick Spear, Executive Member for Culture, said: “The council wants everyone to have the opportunity to share in the excitement of the Olympic Games as the torch passes through North Devon. These events will be great fun for thousands of young people across the district and make fantastic memories for those that take part.”
The Olympic Torch will be carried through Barnstaple, Braunton, Knowle, Ilfracombe, Combe Martin and Lynton and Lynmouth on Monday, May 21.
For more information about the events, and Olympic Torch Relay, visit www.northdevon.gov.uk/london2012.