Torridge councillors meet at AGM and re-elect councillor Ken James as Leader
- Credit: TDC
Torridge councillors met at the end of May at the council’s AGM to elect the leader and fill other key positions across the council’s decision-making committees.
This included the positions of chair and vice chair of the council as well as the chair and vice chairs of committees.
One of the key outcomes from the night was the decision by councillors to unanimously re-elect both councillor Ken James as Leader and also councillor Claire Hodson as Deputy Leader.
Other posts decided at Full Council included the following chair and vice chair positions:
- Chair of the Council – Councillor Doug Bushby
- Vice Chair of the Council – Councillor Peter Christie
- Chair Community and Resources Committee – Councillor Bob Hicks
- Vice Chair Community and Resources Committee – Councillor Anna Dart
- Chair Plans Committee – Councillor Chris Leather
- Vice Chair Plans Committee – Councillor Margaret Brown
- Chair Audit and Governance Committee – Councillor Philip Hackett
- Vice Chair Audit and Governance Committee – Councillor Ruth Craigie
- Chair Internal Overview and Scrutiny Committee – Councillor Pete Watson
- Vice Chair Internal Overview and Scrutiny Committee – Councillor Tony Inch
- Chair External Overview and Scrutiny Committee – Councillor Joanne Manley
- Vice Chair External Overview and Scrutiny Committee – Councillor Cheryl Cottle-Hunkin
- Chair Licensing Committee – Councillor Jamie McKenzie
- Vice Chair Licensing Committee – Councillor Richard Wiseman
- Chair Standards Committee – Councillor Nick Laws
- Vice Chair Standards Committee – Councillor Judith Gubb
Re-elected Leader of Torridge District Council, councillor Ken James said: “I would like to thank my fellow councillors for their support in what has been a unique and unprecedented period of time in this council’s history in dealing with the Covid pandemic. However as far as I am concerned, I am just the head of a team of 36 councillors and council officers and our achievements are as a result of this team effort.
“While there are still many hurdles to overcome, I feel that we are in a good place and together we can continue to move forward.”
- 1 OPINION: Hi-Tech – Is North Devon ahead or behind the curve?
- 2 Masons donate £20,000 to food banks
- 3 Steve’s family and friends bring Christmas to hospital ward
- 4 Property of the Week: Some of the finest views of North Devon's coast
- 5 Specialist fire crews rescue horse trapped in ditch
- 6 Village halls offered cash helping hand in Covid battle
- 7 North Devon Weekend Football Results
- 8 Refresh your New Year’s wardrobe by donating unwanted clothes for a good cause
- 9 SWW warns: 'Don't be frozen out'
- 10 Together we can look forward to 2022
Re-elected Deputy Leader of Torridge District Council, councillor Claire Hodson said: “I have enjoyed working alongside our leader, other members and officers to support our communities and residents through the recent crisis.
“While there are still many challenges to be met, I look forward to working with everyone in delivering our vision and strategy for Torridge and to a return to more normal times.”
Councillor Doug Bushby – newly elected Chair of Torridge District Council said: “I would like to thank my fellow Councillors for placing their trust in me and electing me to the office of chair of Torridge District Council. I would also like to take this opportunity to thank our outgoing chair councillor David Brenton for his sterling work as our chair through the recent extraordinary times, we all appreciate everything that he achieved. I look forward to working with colleagues on the many exciting projects that we are currently working on.”