Street artist Mau Mau presents election day pop-up show
- Credit: Archant
Bideford artist offers his own take on election shenanigans with a three day exhibition...
A Bideford street artist is going to the polls with his own take on the political menagerie with a three day pop up show.
Power to the Sheeple opens at London’s Westbank Gallery tomorrow (Thursday) as the nation heads for the ballot boxes.
The exhibition takes a satirical sideways Animal Farm-themed swipe at the baying of MPs and party leaders, the bleating of party slogans and the shepherding of voter loyalties.
As ever, political commentary comes with a healthy sense of humour, with the gallery playing host to a cast of Mau characters on canvas and in installation - from ballot box battery hens and sheep as they haven’t been seen before to porcine forces of order and Mau fox deviancy.
You may also want to watch:
Mau Mau is an artist who continues to walk the line between the street and the gallery. His prints for Souled out Studios, sell out within minutes, as do his exhibitions; in London and Tokyo shows, his artworks have been snapped up by collectors.
Added to these canvases are Thai army checkpoints, London street spots and a 30 foot tall fox on a Devon barn, while in North Devon his work features outside the Co-operative at Sticklepath and he hit the headlines when a mural on a Bideford wall appeared to oppose McDonald’s plans for the town.
- 1 Devon's Tiki surf brand is up for sale
- 2 Northam murder suspect remanded in custody
- 3 Council and police step up Covid enforcement in North Devon
- 4 Man charged with murder of Northam pensioner
- 5 Three more Covid deaths at North Devon District Hospital but cases are falling
- 6 Times Past: Bodysnatching in the centre of Barnstaple
- 7 Camp out fundraiser Max receives gift from fallen soldier's family
- 8 Developer 'lost for words' as town council rejects £20m Bideford wharf plans
- 9 Murder enquiry launched at Northam after death of elderly woman
- 10 Terrified shoppers fled Devon city centre attack