Election 2017: Polling stations open in North Devon and Torridge to cast your vote
- Credit: Archant
Polling stations in North Devon and Torridge open at 7am for the General Election - you have until 10pm to cast your vote.
It’s nearly time for people in North Devon and Torridge to cast their votes as polling stations get set to open for the General Elections today (Thursday).
The snap election was called in April, and now its time to decide on the next UK government.
Those registered to vote can do so by visiting their nearest polling stations between 7am and 10pm tonight.
Ballot papers will be handed out for the general elections, and there may be some district and local by-elections in some areas too.
You may also want to watch:
You’ll be voting for who you want to represent you in parliament - with the results expected early tomorrow morning.
Counting of votes will start immediately after the close and continue throughout the night, with the first seat usually being announced before midnight.
- 1 Hotel restriction in Westward Ho! will not be lifted
- 2 Fugitive jailed after car chase between Bideford and Barnstaple
- 3 'Once-in-a-generation' Bideford development given 'full support'
- 4 Finance manager jailed for stealing almost £1m from Witheridge company
- 5 Bid to make Ilfracombe pier car park long stay rejected
- 6 Jail for toothache attacker in North Molton
- 7 Man hospitalised after alleyway assault in South Molton
- 8 Police seek driver after horse riders injured in Westward Ho! incident
- 9 North Devon fossil hunter's collection goes to auction
- 10 Man wielding knife arrested in Barnstaple park
In North Devon, votes will be counted at the leisure centre in Barnstaple, while the Torridge and West Devon count will take place at Langtree Parish Hall.
At present North Devon is expected to reveal its results between 4am and 6am, with Torridge and West Devon following expected between 6am and 8am on June 9.
For more information on how the election system works in the UK, visit our handy at-a-glance guide.
Follow the latest election news and results as they come in by visiting our live blog here.