Lib Dems announce election candidate for Torridge and West Devon seat
- Credit: Archant
David Chalmers has announced he will be challenging Geoffrey Cox for the Torridge and West Devon seat in the June elections.
The Liberal Democrats have announced their candidate for the Torridge and West Devon in the June elections.
David Chalmers has thrown his hat into the ring for the June 8 election.
Announcing his standing on his Facebook page, he said: “Torridge and West Devon needs an MP who is dedicated full-time to serving its people and standing up for them on the floor of the House of Commons.
“I have been campaigning across Northern Devon to save our hospitals and protect our school budgets.
You may also want to watch:
“I care about my community in rural Devon; I am chair of finance on Fremington Parish Council; I am a trustee of North Devon Sunrise and a governor of Petroc College.
“I am not a career politician, I come from a business background and want to use my experience to bring investment and decent paying jobs to Torridge and West Devon.”
- 1 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 2 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 3 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 4 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 5 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 6 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 7 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
- 8 Appledore RNLI's Matt Rowe passes out as lifeboat mechanic
- 9 Six people injured in serious crash on A39 near Barnstaple - Police appeal
- 10 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
Geoffrey Cox will be campaigning to keep his seat in Torridge and West Devon, after being reselected to stand for the Conservatives.
In the 2015 elections, Mr Cox took more than 50 per cent of the votes in a landslide victory.
He polled 28,774 votes - beating his UKIP rival, who gained 10,371 votes.
Chris Jordan from Westward Ho! has been nominated as the Green Party candidate for Torridge. UKIP and Labour are yet to announce who will be standing for the Torridge and West Devon seat.