General Election 2019: Torridge and West Devon Labour candidate selected
- Credit: Contributed
A local councillor and school governor has been selected as Labour’s candidate for Torridge and West Devon in the expected December 12 General Election.
Siobhan Strode was selected by members at the constituency AGM in Holsworthy.
Cllr Strode is well known in Great Torrington, where she is a town councillor, school governor and part-time teacher.
She has been active in campaigns in the area, including setting up a breakfast club to combat summer holiday hunger in the town.
She has also fought for fair funding for school across Torridge.
You may also want to watch:
In her acceptance speech to the Torridge and West Devon Labour AGM, cllr Strode said: "I am thrilled to be selected as Labour's candidate here in Torridge and West Devon where I think we have a real chance to unseat the Attorney General.
She added: "Were I elected as the MP for Torridge and West Devon at the forthcoming general election you can rest assured I'd never be guilty of misleading the Queen.
- 1 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 2 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 3 Council bids for Levelling Up funding for Ilfracombe
- 4 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 5 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 6 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 7 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 8 MP opens new Northam Burrows Visitor Centre at Westward Ho!
- 9 Huntsmen fined for digging badger sett near Chulmleigh
- 10 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
"My top priorities are the environment, the NHS and social care, and building an economy that works for the many here in Torridge and West Devon."
Labour will be looking to gain the seat held by Geoffrey Cox, who secured a record victory in 2017.