General Election 2017: Green Party offers ‘none of the above’ in North Devon
- Credit: Archant
Video interview: Ricky Knight, North Devon’s Green party candidate, chats about Theresa May, snap elections, Brexit and the health service
‘None of the above’ is the option the Green Party offers says North Devon General election candidate Ricky Knight.
Mr Knight, 66 and from Bishops Tawton, said the snap General Election was unexpected and unwanted, but after some debate it was decided he would stand once again as his party’s representative.
You can watch the whole interview with the retired Pilton teacher here as part of the Gazette’s ongoing series of election campaign interviews with North Devon candidates.
He said: “The election has been called ostensibly as a Brexit election so we will be campaigning mostly on the issue of hard Brexit and as a counter balance to the stated slogan of the Tory party that the UK needs strong and stable leadership.
You may also want to watch:
“Fundamentally I do not believe that May offers strong or stable leadership and I don’t think we hold any cards in any hard Brexit negotiations.”
Mr Knight said the Green Party sought a second referendum on whatever deal is struck between the UK government and the EU.
- 1 Fugitive jailed after car chase between Bideford and Barnstaple
- 2 Hotel restriction in Westward Ho! will not be lifted
- 3 Finance manager jailed for stealing almost £1m from Witheridge company
- 4 Bid to make Ilfracombe pier car park long stay rejected
- 5 Jail for toothache attacker in North Molton
- 6 Man hospitalised after alleyway assault in South Molton
- 7 Police seek driver after horse riders injured in Westward Ho! incident
- 8 Man wielding knife arrested in Barnstaple park
- 9 Braunton farmer admits ploughing up 'semi natural' land
- 10 North Devon fossil hunter's collection goes to auction
Other issues he is standing for include preventing privatisation of the NHS and supporting the local Save Our Hospital Services campaign and preventing planning applications from destroying the heart of North Devon.
* You can also find out how Mr Knight and the other candidates fared when they were interviewed by six and seven year olds at Our lady’s School in Barnstaple.
* Want to find out what party you should be voting for? Try our fun online poll HERE