General Election 2017: Green Party offers ‘none of the above’ in North Devon
- Credit: Archant
Video interview: Ricky Knight, North Devon’s Green party candidate, chats about Theresa May, snap elections, Brexit and the health service
‘None of the above’ is the option the Green Party offers says North Devon General election candidate Ricky Knight.
Mr Knight, 66 and from Bishops Tawton, said the snap General Election was unexpected and unwanted, but after some debate it was decided he would stand once again as his party’s representative.
You can watch the whole interview with the retired Pilton teacher here as part of the Gazette’s ongoing series of election campaign interviews with North Devon candidates.
He said: “The election has been called ostensibly as a Brexit election so we will be campaigning mostly on the issue of hard Brexit and as a counter balance to the stated slogan of the Tory party that the UK needs strong and stable leadership.
You may also want to watch:
“Fundamentally I do not believe that May offers strong or stable leadership and I don’t think we hold any cards in any hard Brexit negotiations.”
Mr Knight said the Green Party sought a second referendum on whatever deal is struck between the UK government and the EU.
- 1 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 2 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 3 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 4 Northam Murder: Grieving family condemn killer's lies and cruelty
- 5 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 6 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 7 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 8 MP opens new Northam Burrows Visitor Centre at Westward Ho!
- 9 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 10 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
Other issues he is standing for include preventing privatisation of the NHS and supporting the local Save Our Hospital Services campaign and preventing planning applications from destroying the heart of North Devon.
* You can also find out how Mr Knight and the other candidates fared when they were interviewed by six and seven year olds at Our lady’s School in Barnstaple.
* Want to find out what party you should be voting for? Try our fun online poll HERE