General election 2017: Brexit is only part of it says North Devon’s Lib Dem candidate
- Credit: Archant
Watch as Nick Harvey says the region is facing cuts, threats from developers and to RMB Chivenor, so Brexit isn’t the only thing voters should be worried about
North Devon’s former long-standing MP says Brexit is just one issue facing voters in June’s general election.
Nick Harvey, the prospective parliamentary candidate for the Liberal Democrats, says the region has had a Conservative MP and county council and asks – ‘what has it got to show for it’?
Mr Harvey, who served as North Devon MP for 23 years but came out of retirement to throw his hat into the ring for the June 8 election, said the region was facing threats to its health service, cuts to adult social care and education.
He said RMB Chivenor was faced with closure and new planning regulations had led to a ‘bulldozers’ charter’ for unscrupulous development.
You may also want to watch:
You can watch his full interview with the North Devon Gazette here, the next in our continuing series of video interviews with the local general election candidates.
He said: “The question for North Devon is what sort of MP do you want? Someone who is going to make up the numbers or someone who will kick up a fuss and make a noise and be troublesome?”
- 1 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 2 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 3 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 4 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 5 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 6 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 7 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
- 8 Appledore RNLI's Matt Rowe passes out as lifeboat mechanic
- 9 Six people injured in serious crash on A39 near Barnstaple - Police appeal
- 10 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes