General election 2017: Brexit is only part of it says North Devon’s Lib Dem candidate
- Credit: Archant
Watch as Nick Harvey says the region is facing cuts, threats from developers and to RMB Chivenor, so Brexit isn’t the only thing voters should be worried about
North Devon’s former long-standing MP says Brexit is just one issue facing voters in June’s general election.
Nick Harvey, the prospective parliamentary candidate for the Liberal Democrats, says the region has had a Conservative MP and county council and asks – ‘what has it got to show for it’?
Mr Harvey, who served as North Devon MP for 23 years but came out of retirement to throw his hat into the ring for the June 8 election, said the region was facing threats to its health service, cuts to adult social care and education.
He said RMB Chivenor was faced with closure and new planning regulations had led to a ‘bulldozers’ charter’ for unscrupulous development.
You may also want to watch:
You can watch his full interview with the North Devon Gazette here, the next in our continuing series of video interviews with the local general election candidates.
He said: “The question for North Devon is what sort of MP do you want? Someone who is going to make up the numbers or someone who will kick up a fuss and make a noise and be troublesome?”
- 1 Speeding driver facing jail after 'web of lies'
- 2 Chivenor marines among UK troops hit by Norway Covid outbreak
- 3 Covid-19 roundup: Devon cases fall but follow lockdown rules
- 4 Busy first day for new Covid-19 vaccination centre at Westward Ho!
- 5 Pictures: North Devon's winter wonderland
- 6 Judge jails 'worst' drink driver he has ever seen
- 7 Work begins on Northam Burrows Visitor Centre refurbishment
- 8 Tributes paid to 'legendary' North Devon vet Brian Crawford
- 9 Two arrested as teenager fights for life after Ilfracombe stabbing
- 10 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?