Election poll shows indecision reigns supreme in Barnstaple
- Credit: Archant
With just over a week to go until polling day, Gazette reporter Elliot Anderton took to the streets of Barnstaple to find out how people are planning to vote in the General Election.
There’s a common theme beginning to emerge in this election campaign: uncertainty.
Every day, the national polls seem to be suggesting a different outcome, whether that be a Labour or Conservative minority government or any number of coalitions.
And now, it appears that uncertainty and indecision has spread to North Devon.
Liberal Democrat Nick Harvey has held the seat since 1992, while Conservative candidate Peter Heaton-Jones has a healthy lead, according to the latest poll from Lord Ashcroft.
You may also want to watch:
But when I asked people in Barnstaple High Street which way they’d be voting next week, there was a clear winner.
More than a third (38 per cent) of the 53 respondents said they were undecided. Another 15 per cent said they wouldn’t vote at all.
- 1 Man wielding knife arrested in Barnstaple park
- 2 2021 North Devon Show cancelled
- 3 Braunton farmer admits ploughing up 'semi natural' land
- 4 North Devon high streets get set to welcome residents back
- 5 Rapid coronavirus tests now available across Devon
- 6 Prince Philip's last North Devon visit remembered
- 7 Date set for reopening of Bideford Pannier Market
- 8 iLab marks 10th birthday with pledge to raise £10,000 for North Devon Hospice
- 9 Property of the Week: Ford Rise, Bideford
- 10 Flags fly at half mast across North Devon for Prince Philip
Our snap shot puts UKIP ahead on eight votes, with the Conservatives close behind on seven. The Lib Dems and Green Party got four votes each, with Labour taking two.
With the countdown to polling day ticking down rapidly, it’s clear that a lot of people have a big decision still to make – a decision which could sway who represents North Devon in Westminster after May 7.
Do you know who you will vote for? Take part in our poll on our election page here.