Election 2017: Conservatives hold seats in North Devon and Torridge and West Devon
- Credit: Archant
The Conservatives have retained their hold on North Devon and Torridge and West Devon, with Peter Heaton-Jones and Geoffrey Cox both re-elected. Full results and reaction from the candidates here.
North Devon and Torridge have retained their Conservative MPs with the highest voter turnout since 1997.
Peter Heaton-Jones was announced as the winner of the North Devon seat shortly after 3am.
He retained the seat with a reduced majority of 4,332 - with Lib Dem Nick Harvey closing the gap on the 2015 results.
Meanwhile in Torridge and West Devon there were no surprises, with Geoffrey Cox winning his fourth election in a row.
He polled 33,612 votes - but huge gains to poll second place, totalling 12,926 for Vince Barry.
In North Devon, Mr Heaton-Jones polled 25,517 votes to Mr Harvey’s 21,185.
You may also want to watch:
Mark Cann secured 7,063 for the Labour Party, Steve Crowther of UKIP on 1,187 and Ricky Knight of the Green Party on 753.
In Torridge, Lib Dem David Chalmers polled 10,526, Chris Jordan polled 1,622 for Greens and independent candidate Robin Julian tallied 794.
- 1 Council and police step up Covid enforcement in North Devon
- 2 Man charged with murder of Northam pensioner
- 3 Three more Covid deaths at North Devon District Hospital but cases are falling
- 4 Ram raid burglar jailed after rampaging crime spree
- 5 Terrified shoppers fled Devon city centre attack
- 6 Suspect remains in custody as Northam murder enquiry continues
- 7 There's light at the end of the tunnel - but for now embrace lockdown life
- 8 Covid-19: Follow the spirit of lockdown says police chief
- 9 Developer 'lost for words' as town council rejects £20m Bideford wharf plans
- 10 New series of Devon and Cornwall focuses on the Ilfracombe coastline
The turnout for North Devon was 73.5 per cent - more than three per cent above the 2015 total - and in Torridge the turnout was 74 per cent.
The full results are as follows:
Peter Heaton-Jones, Conservative: 25,517 votes
Nick Harvey, Lib Dem: 21,185 votes
Mark Cann, Labour: 7,063
Steve Crowther, UKIP: 1,187
Ricky Knight, Green: 753.
TORRIDGE AND WEST DEVON
Geoffrey Cox, Conservative: 33,612
Vince Barry, Labour: 12,926
David Chalmers, Lib Dem: 10,526
Chris Jordan, Green: 1,622
Robin Julian, Independent: 794
Look back over all the election results and reaction from the counts on our live feed here.