Lights improve safety at danger junction
THE controversial new traffic lights system at the notorious Westleigh junction on the North Devon Link Road came into operation last Wednesday and has been declared a “vast improvement.”
Devon Council Council will, however, be monitoring the �640,000 scheme in coming weeks.
Councillor Stuart Hughes, Devon County Council Cabinet Member for Highways and Transportation, said: “Improving safety at Westleigh Junction has been a priority for the County Council and this new layout is a vast improvement, which provides a long term solution in achieving that. We will be monitoring the lights to ensure everything is running smoothly, but I’m delighted to see the scheme has been completed on budget and ahead of schedule. I would call on motorists to take time to familiarise themselves with the new layout over the coming weeks.”
The choice of the scheme has been controversial, with concerns from the Torridge side over potential tailbacks, especially in the busy summer months.
Northam and Bideford Town Councils expressed a preference for a roundabout, which would have cost �2.4 million.
County and North Devon councillor Rodney Cann, who pressed for the traffic lights scheme, told the Gazette: “My initial reaction is that the scheme is working very well, with traffic flowing smoothly, little delay and eliminating the confusion that did exist at this junction. I feel it will be quite capable of dealing with our summer traffic and that it is a big improvement to the safety situation. No junction of this kind is totally accident proof, but I believe this has made major advances in safety.”
- 1 Village halls offered cash helping hand in Covid battle
- 2 Property of the Week: Some of the finest views of North Devon's coast
- 3 Masons donate £20,000 to food banks
- 4 OPINION: Hi-Tech – Is North Devon ahead or behind the curve?
- 5 Steve’s family and friends bring Christmas to hospital ward
- 6 Specialist fire crews rescue horse trapped in ditch
- 7 MP Selaine backs plans for boost to workers' pensions
- 8 North Devon Weekend Football Results
- 9 SWW warns: 'Don't be frozen out'
- 10 Verdant Leisure buys two North Devon holiday parks