Lights improve safety at danger junction
THE controversial new traffic lights system at the notorious Westleigh junction on the North Devon Link Road came into operation last Wednesday and has been declared a “vast improvement.”
Devon Council Council will, however, be monitoring the �640,000 scheme in coming weeks.
Councillor Stuart Hughes, Devon County Council Cabinet Member for Highways and Transportation, said: “Improving safety at Westleigh Junction has been a priority for the County Council and this new layout is a vast improvement, which provides a long term solution in achieving that. We will be monitoring the lights to ensure everything is running smoothly, but I’m delighted to see the scheme has been completed on budget and ahead of schedule. I would call on motorists to take time to familiarise themselves with the new layout over the coming weeks.”
The choice of the scheme has been controversial, with concerns from the Torridge side over potential tailbacks, especially in the busy summer months.
Northam and Bideford Town Councils expressed a preference for a roundabout, which would have cost �2.4 million.
You may also want to watch:
County and North Devon councillor Rodney Cann, who pressed for the traffic lights scheme, told the Gazette: “My initial reaction is that the scheme is working very well, with traffic flowing smoothly, little delay and eliminating the confusion that did exist at this junction. I feel it will be quite capable of dealing with our summer traffic and that it is a big improvement to the safety situation. No junction of this kind is totally accident proof, but I believe this has made major advances in safety.”
- 1 'No Fuel' - Panic buying and fuel shortages hit North Devon
- 2 £34,000 raised for plumber Jed Mason with stage four cancer in less than 48 hours
- 3 One of Bideford's oldest tea rooms sold at auction
- 4 Clubber denies headbutt assault in Barnstaple
- 5 Barnstaple dealer says £3,100 stash in loft was poor quality
- 6 Brunswick Wharf developer given grant money to fix quay wall
- 7 New details on Barnstaple town centre regeneration revealed
- 8 Opening of new nature reserve in Lynton
- 9 MISSING: Police search for David Kose from Ilfracombe
- 10 Celebrations as gate to Pilton's Manning's Pit officially opened