Lidl coming to Torrington
LIDL have been given the go-ahead to build a supermarket in Torrington. Torridge District Council s planning committee made a site visit yesterday (Thursday) and agreed the controversial proposal for a store on the council-owned New Street car park site.
LIDL have been given the go-ahead to build a supermarket in Torrington.
Torridge District Council's planning committee made a site visit yesterday (Thursday) and agreed the controversial proposal for a store on the council-owned New Street car park site.
The planners had narrowly turned down a previous application in July, citing concern about the impact on neighbouring premises.
The revised application includes a reduction in the height of the proposed building.
You may also want to watch:
Its agreement brings the prospect of 20 new jobs and the store chain will provide a new public car park with 40 spaces, a new bus shelter and contribute �20,000 towards works for a footway/cycleway between the Puffing Billy and Torrington and �10,000 towards public art in the locality of the site.
The council received a petition of 96 signatures supporting the store, pointing to the nearest supermarket currently being in Barnstaple, that it would offer residents more choice and that there would be provision of a public pay-and-display car park.
- 1 Man wielding knife arrested in Barnstaple park
- 2 2021 North Devon Show cancelled
- 3 Braunton farmer admits ploughing up 'semi natural' land
- 4 North Devon high streets get set to welcome residents back
- 5 Rapid coronavirus tests now available across Devon
- 6 Prince Philip's last North Devon visit remembered
- 7 Date set for reopening of Bideford Pannier Market
- 8 iLab marks 10th birthday with pledge to raise £10,000 for North Devon Hospice
- 9 Property of the Week: Ford Rise, Bideford
- 10 Flags fly at half mast across North Devon for Prince Philip
Nine objections included concerns about the impact on the town centre, noise, light and traffic pollution, traffic congestion in New Street and the loss of parking for coaches and lorries.