Library declared open after six-month makeover
Volunteers grouped together to fundraise and support the major refit of Appledore library.
THE DOORS of Appledore library were officially declared open last week after a �50,000 refurbishment.
The ribbon was cut by Walter Fowler, who single-handedly raised more than �18,000 towards the project by selling second hand books.
The six-month makeover was carried out mainly by volunteers, and was funded largely by the Friends of Appledore Library (FOAL) led by children’s author Nick Arnold.
Mr Arnold said: “The library was in a bad way; it needed a lot of money and the council lack the funds for the work.
“FOAL offered to pay for the work and that’s how this project was born.
“It has been gutted back to stones and built back up again, and the feedback has been absolutely fantastic.”
- 1 North Devon holiday home tax dodgers face crackdown
- 2 Urgent appeal goes out to help keep teenagers off the streets
- 3 War hero, SWW champion and author Tony dies at 97
- 4 Popular character Joan dies at 92
- 5 Exercise the 'chuckle muscle' with comedian Jason Manford
- 6 Tennis ace Eric follows in Max's fund-raising footsteps
- 7 Chance at last to sing along with the Winkleigh Singers
- 8 How can we celebrate Queen's Platinum?
- 9 Rishi's thumbs up to £60m investment and 200 new jobs
- 10 MP Selaine Saxby: Violence against women and girls
The library now has a light and airy feel to it, with a more accessible entrance as well as heating and lighting provided by Devon Libraries.
There is also a first-floor events room, which has already attracted interest from local groups ranging from pilates classes to french-speaking groups.
Val Eastman, chairman of FOAL, said: “We are so grateful to everyone who has supported us and helped out, and for Robeda in Bideford who carried out a lot of the work; it was a big job.”
Cllr Jerry Brook, chairman of Devon County Council, said at the launch: “When you hear how this has been achieved, well, it really and truly is dedication.
“This is your project and your facility; no there are not doubts in my mind it will be a roaring success.”
The library will be open Tuesdays 10am-1pm; Wednesdays 2pm-5pm; Thursdays 10am-12pm and Saturdays 10am-12pm.