Lib Dem Nick Harvey holds Devon North
NICK Harvey held off the challenge of local businessman Philip Milton to win the Devon North seat for the Liberal Democrats in the General Election. Mr Harvey increased his share of the vote in a 68.9 per cent turnout to poll 24,305. Conservative Mr Milt
NICK Harvey held off the challenge of local businessman Philip Milton to win the Devon North seat for the Liberal Democrats in the General Election.
Mr Harvey increased his share of the vote in a 68.9 per cent turnout to poll 24,305. The turnout in North Devon was up by just 0.9 per cent on the 2005 figure.
Speaking after the result was declared at around 3,30am today, immediately after the count at North Devon Leisure Centre, Barnstaple, Mr Harvey said his party had waged its “largest ever” campaign in the constituency.
Conservative Mr Milton was second with 18,484 and UK Independence Party candidate Stephen Crowther came third with 3,720 votes.
You may also want to watch:
Labour's Mark Cann was pushed into fourth place with 2,671 votes, a 5.2 per cent share of the poll.
There had been much speculation about how well lifelong Tory Rodney Cann, who stood as an Independent, would do. In the event, he attracted only 588 votes.
- 1 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 2 Northam murder suspect accused of telling a 'litany of lies' about killing
- 3 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
- 4 Northam Murder: Judge tells jury to put aside emotion
- 5 South Molton pub attacker must pay compensation after kicking customer in head
- 6 £60,000 street marshal investment to make North Devon safer
- 7 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
- 8 Six people injured in serious crash on A39 near Barnstaple - Police appeal
- 9 Busy thirteen days for Appledore RNLI
- 10 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
The count in the Torridge and West Devon constituency is due to begin at 10 am today (Friday).
Full Devon North result:
Nick Harvey, Liberal Democrat - 24,305
Philip Milton, Conservative - 18,484
Stephen Crowther, UKIP - 3,720
Mark Cann , Labour - 2,671
L'Anne Knight, Green Party - 697
Gary Marshall, BNP - 614
Rodney Cann, Independent - 588
Nigel Vidler, English Democrat - 146
Gerrard Sables, Communist Party of Britain - 96
MAJORITY - 5,821