Let's have a debate on EU 'road pricing'
SIR - Only three years ago, 1.8 million people signed a petition against road pricing. Unfortunately, the European Union wishes to introduce it across Europe to pay for its Galileo satellite. It also wishes to take over many of our main roads as a Europea
SIR - Only three years ago, 1.8 million people signed a petition against road pricing.
Unfortunately, the European Union wishes to introduce it across Europe to pay for its Galileo satellite. It also wishes to take over many of our main roads as a European network, run by unaccountable committees.
The UK government has been considering road pricing for freight vehicles, even though this might result in dearer goods in shops. However the evolving European blueprint now seeks to extend charging technology from large lorries to smaller vehicles, meaning that many people could end up paying even more for their daily trips to work and have their movements tracked.
All regions of the UK are potentially affected. If the government really wants to give 'power to the public', we need a full and open debate. Few people realise that the UK Department for Transport has just launched an important consultation, with only a short time to respond.
You may also want to watch:
I encourage readers to send a SAE for our free fact sheet or visit www.newalliance.org.uk/eurp.htm.
You can also reply to DFT TEN-T Policy Review, 76 Marsham Street, London SW1P 4DR (TEN-T@Dft.gsi.gov.uk) by 10th September, copying your MP.
- 1 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 2 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 3 Council bids for Levelling Up funding for Ilfracombe
- 4 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 5 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 6 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 7 MP opens new Northam Burrows Visitor Centre at Westward Ho!
- 8 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 9 Huntsmen fined for digging badger sett near Chulmleigh
- 10 Exhibition celebrates North Devon in 100 objects
Campaign Manager, New Alliance
PO Box 13199
London SW6 6ZU