Let's have a debate on EU 'road pricing'
SIR - Only three years ago, 1.8 million people signed a petition against road pricing. Unfortunately, the European Union wishes to introduce it across Europe to pay for its Galileo satellite. It also wishes to take over many of our main roads as a Europea
SIR - Only three years ago, 1.8 million people signed a petition against road pricing.
Unfortunately, the European Union wishes to introduce it across Europe to pay for its Galileo satellite. It also wishes to take over many of our main roads as a European network, run by unaccountable committees.
The UK government has been considering road pricing for freight vehicles, even though this might result in dearer goods in shops. However the evolving European blueprint now seeks to extend charging technology from large lorries to smaller vehicles, meaning that many people could end up paying even more for their daily trips to work and have their movements tracked.
All regions of the UK are potentially affected. If the government really wants to give 'power to the public', we need a full and open debate. Few people realise that the UK Department for Transport has just launched an important consultation, with only a short time to respond.
You may also want to watch:
I encourage readers to send a SAE for our free fact sheet or visit www.newalliance.org.uk/eurp.htm.
You can also reply to DFT TEN-T Policy Review, 76 Marsham Street, London SW1P 4DR (TEN-T@Dft.gsi.gov.uk) by 10th September, copying your MP.
- 1 North Devon sign West Indian pace bowler
- 2 'ThINK it through before you tattoo' urges council
- 3 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 4 Ilfracombe man, 64, must pay compensation for baseball bat attack
- 5 People in North Devon urged to take up the vaccine to help protect others
- 6 Alison Hernandez vows to get tough on crime as she retains PCC role
- 7 Conservatives maintain control of Devon County Council despite losses
- 8 Small-time drug dealer 'caught red-handed'
- 9 Ton-up Brend helps Bideford set early pace
- 10 New Barnstaple restaurant offers Fine Dining at Home
Campaign Manager, New Alliance
PO Box 13199
London SW6 6ZU