Lenwood Country Club fire being treated as arson
- Credit: Ray Goldsmith
A major fire at the derelict Lenwood Country Club in Northam is being treated as arson.
Fire crews were called at 1.45pm on Sunday, April 19 after numerous people called to report smoke coming from the building in Lenwood Road.
Two crews from Bideford and one from Barnstaple attended, with a request on arrival for the Appledore crew, plus an additional engine from Torrington, a water carrier and the aerial ladder platform.
The fire was across both the ground and first floors of the building and fire fighters donned breathing apparatus to fight the blaze.
Investigation is under way and police said they are treating the fire as arson, adding that it caused ‘considerable damage’.
You may also want to watch:
The fire was extinguished at 9pm last night but fire crews were still dampening down hotspots overnight and into Monday morning.
Anyone with any information is asked to contact police by emailing email@example.com or call 101, and quote crime number CR/031419/20.
- 1 Tributes paid to 'legendary' North Devon vet Brian Crawford
- 2 Pictures: North Devon's winter wonderland
- 3 Busy first day for new Covid-19 vaccination centre at Westward Ho!
- 4 Judge jails 'worst' drink driver he has ever seen
- 5 Two arrested as teenager fights for life after Ilfracombe stabbing
- 6 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
- 7 Masked burglars make Bideford garage cigarette smash and grab
- 8 Work begins on Northam Burrows Visitor Centre refurbishment
- 9 Some North Devon GP surgeries to provide Covid vaccine clinics
- 10 Football league teams up with Northern Devon Foodbank