Legion wants to appoint new standard bearer
SIR - The expression flying the flag is often heard; I wonder if any readers have ever considered carrying one? The Barnstaple branch of the Royal British Legion wants to recruit a standard bearer to carry the Legion s flag at official occasions (about
SIR - The expression "flying the flag" is often heard; I wonder if any readers have ever considered carrying one? The Barnstaple branch of the Royal British Legion wants to recruit a standard bearer to carry the Legion's flag at official occasions (about six a year), the most important of which is the Remembrance Sunday commemoration. There are optional extra parades across Devon.
The RBL safeguards the welfare, interests and memory of those who are serving or have served in the Armed Forces - not just during the two World Wars, but also the many conflicts since 1945. The Legion is recognised as the custodian of Remembrance and runs the annual Poppy Appeal.
Potential standard bearers need to be fit and have a smart appearance. They would need to be able to travel under their own volition. Uniform can be provided by the Branch and training arranged as necessary.
If anyone is interested, please contact our branch President, Ken Hartnoll, on (01271) 374887, for a no-obligation chat.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Devon's Tiki surf brand is up for sale
- 2 I'm Still Standing: Ambulance worker's battle against the darkness
- 3 Barnstaple's The ilab launches iPad appeal to help lockdown home schoolers
- 4 Northam murder suspect remanded in custody
- 5 Tributes to Ilfracombe's 30-year school governor
- 6 'Bonkers' idea led to the creation of Children's Hospice South West
- 7 Three more Covid deaths at North Devon District Hospital but cases are falling
- 8 Council and police step up Covid enforcement in North Devon
- 9 Roger McGough unveiled as Plough Poetry Prize judge
- 10 Man charged with murder of Northam pensioner
Royal British Legion.