Legion wants to appoint new standard bearer
SIR - The expression flying the flag is often heard; I wonder if any readers have ever considered carrying one? The Barnstaple branch of the Royal British Legion wants to recruit a standard bearer to carry the Legion s flag at official occasions (about
SIR - The expression "flying the flag" is often heard; I wonder if any readers have ever considered carrying one? The Barnstaple branch of the Royal British Legion wants to recruit a standard bearer to carry the Legion's flag at official occasions (about six a year), the most important of which is the Remembrance Sunday commemoration. There are optional extra parades across Devon.
The RBL safeguards the welfare, interests and memory of those who are serving or have served in the Armed Forces - not just during the two World Wars, but also the many conflicts since 1945. The Legion is recognised as the custodian of Remembrance and runs the annual Poppy Appeal.
Potential standard bearers need to be fit and have a smart appearance. They would need to be able to travel under their own volition. Uniform can be provided by the Branch and training arranged as necessary.
If anyone is interested, please contact our branch President, Ken Hartnoll, on (01271) 374887, for a no-obligation chat.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 2 Coveted Muddy Stiletto award for Bideford's Josie's Interiors
- 3 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 4 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 5 Northam Murder: Grieving family condemn killer's lies and cruelty
- 6 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 7 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 8 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 9 MP opens new Northam Burrows Visitor Centre at Westward Ho!
- 10 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
Royal British Legion.