Legion wants to appoint new standard bearer
SIR - The expression flying the flag is often heard; I wonder if any readers have ever considered carrying one? The Barnstaple branch of the Royal British Legion wants to recruit a standard bearer to carry the Legion s flag at official occasions (about
SIR - The expression "flying the flag" is often heard; I wonder if any readers have ever considered carrying one? The Barnstaple branch of the Royal British Legion wants to recruit a standard bearer to carry the Legion's flag at official occasions (about six a year), the most important of which is the Remembrance Sunday commemoration. There are optional extra parades across Devon.
The RBL safeguards the welfare, interests and memory of those who are serving or have served in the Armed Forces - not just during the two World Wars, but also the many conflicts since 1945. The Legion is recognised as the custodian of Remembrance and runs the annual Poppy Appeal.
Potential standard bearers need to be fit and have a smart appearance. They would need to be able to travel under their own volition. Uniform can be provided by the Branch and training arranged as necessary.
If anyone is interested, please contact our branch President, Ken Hartnoll, on (01271) 374887, for a no-obligation chat.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Fugitive jailed after car chase between Bideford and Barnstaple
- 2 Hotel restriction in Westward Ho! will not be lifted
- 3 Finance manager jailed for stealing almost £1m from Witheridge company
- 4 Jail for toothache attacker in North Molton
- 5 Man hospitalised after alleyway assault in South Molton
- 6 Bid to make Ilfracombe pier car park long stay rejected
- 7 Police seek driver after horse riders injured in Westward Ho! incident
- 8 North Devon fossil hunter's collection goes to auction
- 9 New Pebbleridge Kitchen arrives on Northam Burrows
- 10 Man wielding knife arrested in Barnstaple park
Royal British Legion.