Lee Village hall reopens its doors
THE village hall at Lee near Ilfracombe has reopened following a �120,000 refurbishment. A special celebration was held on Saturday to mark the occasion and to celebrate village life with displays by groups and organisations from the village. North Devon
THE village hall at Lee near Ilfracombe has reopened following a �120,000 refurbishment.
A special celebration was held on Saturday to mark the occasion and to celebrate village life with displays by groups and organisations from the village.
North Devon Council provided �15,000 towards the refurbishment programme, which included an extension, new kitchen and toilets, as well as new plumbing.
"This small community is very proud of its charming memorial hall, but, built some 90 years ago, it was beginning to show its age," said local ward member Councillor Colin Wright, who attended the reopening.
You may also want to watch:
"After an intensive campaign by committed Lee and Lincombe residents, the sums have been raised to bring the hall into the 21st century, while maintaining its original character.
"It is an excellent example of cooperation between the council and one of its smallest communities."
- 1 2021 North Devon Show cancelled
- 2 Man wielding knife arrested in Barnstaple park
- 3 Braunton farmer admits ploughing up 'semi natural' land
- 4 Prince Philip's last North Devon visit remembered
- 5 North Devon high streets get set to welcome residents back
- 6 Flags fly at half mast across North Devon for Prince Philip
- 7 Property of the Week: Ford Rise, Bideford
- 8 Rapid coronavirus tests now available across Devon
- 9 Police seek driver after horse riders injured in Westward Ho! incident
- 10 Date set for reopening of Bideford Pannier Market
Brenda Keeble, on behalf of the Lee Memorial Hall Management Committee, added: "I should like to thank most sincerely the many organisations who have supported us with generous grants and encouragement. We are also very grateful for the efforts of our fundraisers who have worked so hard over a long period to reach our goal and to the local supporters of our project for their most welcome donations.