Lee Village hall reopens its doors
THE village hall at Lee near Ilfracombe has reopened following a �120,000 refurbishment. A special celebration was held on Saturday to mark the occasion and to celebrate village life with displays by groups and organisations from the village. North Devon
THE village hall at Lee near Ilfracombe has reopened following a �120,000 refurbishment.
A special celebration was held on Saturday to mark the occasion and to celebrate village life with displays by groups and organisations from the village.
North Devon Council provided �15,000 towards the refurbishment programme, which included an extension, new kitchen and toilets, as well as new plumbing.
"This small community is very proud of its charming memorial hall, but, built some 90 years ago, it was beginning to show its age," said local ward member Councillor Colin Wright, who attended the reopening.
"After an intensive campaign by committed Lee and Lincombe residents, the sums have been raised to bring the hall into the 21st century, while maintaining its original character.
"It is an excellent example of cooperation between the council and one of its smallest communities."
- 1 OPINION: Hi-Tech – Is North Devon ahead or behind the curve?
- 2 Masons donate £20,000 to food banks
- 3 Steve’s family and friends bring Christmas to hospital ward
- 4 Property of the Week: Some of the finest views of North Devon's coast
- 5 Specialist fire crews rescue horse trapped in ditch
- 6 Village halls offered cash helping hand in Covid battle
- 7 North Devon Weekend Football Results
- 8 Refresh your New Year’s wardrobe by donating unwanted clothes for a good cause
- 9 SWW warns: 'Don't be frozen out'
- 10 Covid-19 ventilation advice for North Devon landlords
Brenda Keeble, on behalf of the Lee Memorial Hall Management Committee, added: "I should like to thank most sincerely the many organisations who have supported us with generous grants and encouragement. We are also very grateful for the efforts of our fundraisers who have worked so hard over a long period to reach our goal and to the local supporters of our project for their most welcome donations.