Lee Bay seafront road closed after sinkhole opens
- Credit: Pat Coates
A huge sinkhole has opened up on the seafront at Lee Bay near Ilfracombe.
The road surface has collapsed into a void where the stream runs on to the beach, just past the derelict Lee Bay Hotel.
Pedestrians can get through but it is impassable to vehicles.
The collapse broke the water main and although water has been restored to most of Lee, those properties beyond the hole - going out of the village away from Ilfracombe – are still without water.
Ilfracombe town councillor Pat Coates said the water was off when she woke at 7am and a quick burst of WhatsApp chat confirmed others were cut off too.
You may also want to watch:
South West Water confirmed there was a burst water main and asked if villagers could find the location – but it soon became immediately obvious.
Cllr Coates said: “There was this massive sinkhole, where the stream flows through the village, under the road and into the sea.
- 1 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
- 2 Plans to merge North Devon and Exeter health trusts move forward
- 3 Barnstaple man attacked his wife and neighbour after Christmas drink
- 4 Devon's Tiki surf brand is up for sale
- 5 Covid delays Barnstaple councillor's trial again
- 6 Barnstaple man cleared of drug dealing charges
- 7 Northam murder suspect remanded in custody
- 8 Man charged with murder of Northam pensioner
- 9 Three more Covid deaths at North Devon District Hospital but cases are falling
- 10 Council and police step up Covid enforcement in North Devon
“We have had minor problems with it before and there has been minor patching and bits of work but never anything like that.”
She said South West Water was working on a temporary solution to get water to those who were currently cut off.
Update 2.30pm: Devon County Council has said it has introduced an emergency road closure and diversion after the breach of the wall created a large void in the structure and washed out a section of the road.
The county council said it would be carrying out repairs as soon as possible and temporary protection will be installed in the interim.