Leader reappointed at annual council meeting
NORTH Devon Council reappointed Tory Councillor Des Brailey as Leader at its annual meeting last night (Wednesday) Councillor Dick Jones was appointed deputy leader, succeeding Cllr Mike Harrison, who stepped down due to ill health. Councillors also re
NORTH Devon Council reappointed Tory Councillor Des Brailey as Leader at its annual meeting last night (Wednesday)
Councillor Dick Jones was appointed deputy leader, succeeding Cllr Mike Harrison, who stepped down due to ill health.
Councillors also re-elected Roy Lucas as chairman of the council for a record third year running.
One man not elected was Councillor Rodney Cann, who upset the Conservative hierarchy when he stood as an Independent in last year's county council elections. He is also standing as an Independent in North Devon at the General Election.
You may also want to watch:
His place on the council Executive as Lead Member for Waste and |Recycling was taken by Cllr Paul Yabsley, from Ilfracombe. All other members of the Executive remain the same as last year: Des Brailey, Mike Harrison, Dick Jones, Pat Barker, Colin Wright, Richard Edgell, Brian Moores, David Luggar and Eric Ley.
Other key appointments (also unchanged) were: Chairman of Overview and Scrutiny, Phil Daniel; chairman of Planning, Jasmine Chesters
- 1 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
- 2 Crash and assault in Ilfracombe - Police appeal
- 3 Northam Murder: Carer denies killing widow Carol Hart
- 4 Jewellery and cash stolen in Barnstaple burglary
- 5 PICTURES: Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall visit The Burton at Bideford
- 6 Rosemoor transforms into Wonderland for the summer holidays
- 7 Changes to reporting planning breaches in North Devon
- 8 Busy thirteen days for Appledore RNLI
- 9 Northam Murder: Accused carer told police he 'loved her to bits'
- 10 New ‘inside-out’ art gallery coming to Ilfracombe
Mr Brailey said:: "I'm thrilled to have been re-elected as Leader. It is a job I really enjoy and I'm looking forward to facing the challenges ahead. It's not going to be an easy year as we continue to face severe budget pressures, but we will continue to find savings without affecting services to the public."
Mr Lucas said: "I feel so privileged that my fellow councillors have chosen me as chairman once again. It is a real honour to represent North Devon Council and I will continue to do so with the greatest of pleasure."
For more information on North Devon Council members and which committees they serve on, visit www.northdevon.gov.uk/democracy.