Laughter and more laughter with Madame Galina in Barnstaple
TEARS – of laughter – are expected as the tumultuous Madame Galina tippy-toes into the Inn on the Square in Barnstaple from tomorrow (Thursday) with an act that somehow successfully blends ballerina, panto dame, clown and classical singer! The New Forces
TEARS - of laughter - are expected as the tumultuous Madame Galina tippy-toes into the Inn on the Square in Barnstaple from tomorrow (Thursday) with an act that somehow successfully blends ballerina, panto dame, clown and classical singer!
The "New Forces Sweetheart" has done three tours of Iraq and Afghanistan, reducing grown men to tears and performed before Her Majesty the Queen, but from Thursday until Saturday this force of comedy nature will be playing in Barnstaple as part of the Fringe Theatrefest.
As the classically trained Iestyn "Anything for a Tenor" Edwards, Madame's singing is very good, as is "her" dancing, but laughter is definitely the final product.
With works by Verdi, Brahms, Sherman, Schubert and Sullivan, this part-revue, part dramatic monologue follows Iestyn through Iraq and Afghanistan in the company of Her Majesty's finest, including flash-backs to the performances on HMS Victory for the T200 Celebrations that landed him there.
You may also want to watch:
Plus asides about his parents spiking his Ribena, the Virgin Mary's espadrilles and a yodelling strip-a-gram giraffe!
All, somehow, leading to the evening when Regimental Sergeant Major "Tina" Turner sat him in one of Saddam's torture wingchairs in Basra Palace...
- 1 Some North Devon GP surgeries to provide Covid vaccine clinics
- 2 Weather warning of snow and ice for Devon this weekend
- 3 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
- 4 Exmoor Ramble legacy for legendary fundraiser as he battles terminal cancer
- 5 Farmer gets suspended sentence for tractor crash
- 6 Devon's Tiki surf brand is up for sale
- 7 Tributes to Ilfracombe's 30-year school governor
- 8 Barnstaple man cleared of drug dealing charges
- 9 Plans to merge North Devon and Exeter health trusts move forward
- 10 Northam murder suspect remanded in custody
The shows take place at the Inn on the Square tomorrow at 9.30pm, Friday at 8.45 and Saturday at 7.15pm. Call the box office on (01271) 324242 for tickets and information or visit www.theatrefest.co.uk.