Late night chemical scare at South Molton hospital

FIRE crews worked through the night to decontaminate a treatment room at South Molton Community Hospital yesterday (Sunday). Hospital staff raised the alarm following the leakage of ammonia from a fridge at around midnight. Three appliances from South Mol

FIRE crews worked through the night to decontaminate a treatment room at South Molton Community Hospital yesterday (Sunday).

Hospital staff raised the alarm following the leakage of ammonia from a fridge at around midnight.

Three appliances from South Molton and Barnstaple were mobilised, along with the Incident Response Unit and support pump from Bovey Tracey and a gas detector from Ilfracombe.

Firefighters wore gas tight suits used breathing apparatus while removing the fridge to a safe location and cleaning the spillage.


You may also want to watch:


They made the area safe and handed over to onsite engineers at around 3.30am.

Most Read

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus