Last-minute touches being put to Ilfracombe carnival spectacular
THE people of Ilfracombe are putting the finishing touches to a variety of colourful costumes as they gear up for the town s annual carnival parade tomorrow (Thursday) evening. Costumed revellers are invited to bring themselves or their floats to the swim
THE people of Ilfracombe are putting the finishing touches to a variety of colourful costumes as they gear up for the town's annual carnival parade tomorrow (Thursday) evening.
Costumed revellers are invited to bring themselves or their floats to the swimming pool car park next to the rugby club, with judging from 7pm and the procession moving off at 7.30.
Tonight (Wednesday) there is a fancy dress competition for all ages on the seafront from 7.30pm.
Organised by Ilfracombe St John Ambulance, carnival week opened at the weekend and continued on the Monday with the traditional presentation of the John Fowler Cup for the best dressed shop window in the town.
You may also want to watch:
Competition was strong this year but St James' Dairy near the harbour came out on top and was presented with the trophy by John and Susan Fowler.
The carnival is helping mark 80 years of St John Ambulance in the town and has a new event tomorrow in the form of an around town cycle race - the Ilfracombe Carnival Evening Criterium is a is a British cycling event and starts at the Grosvenor Hotel at 6.45pm, with riders racing for around an hour, completing three laps of the town.
- 1 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 2 South Molton pub attacker must pay compensation after kicking customer in head
- 3 Northam murder suspect accused of telling a 'litany of lies' about killing
- 4 £60,000 street marshal investment to make North Devon safer
- 5 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
- 6 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
- 7 Crash and assault in Ilfracombe - Police appeal
- 8 Six people injured in serious crash on A39 near Barnstaple - Police appeal
- 9 Changes to reporting planning breaches in North Devon
- 10 Busy thirteen days for Appledore RNLI
A children's colouring competition is running throughout carnival week, with entries available for collection and return from Alan Jackson and Tinker Taylor in the High Street or Ilfracombe Library. Carnival entry forms are also available from the two High Street shops.