Landkey ducks in training for races
VOLCANIC ash has not deterred the quacky racers of Landkey as they continue their low level training preparations in anticipation of the annual village duck race this Sunday. The river near the Ring O Bells pub will be the venue for Duck Fest 3, as the
VOLCANIC ash has not deterred the "quacky racers" of Landkey as they continue their low level training preparations in anticipation of the annual village duck race this Sunday.
The river near the Ring O' Bells pub will be the venue for Duck Fest 3, as the fowl contestants line up for the first of 10 heats at 1.30pm.
There are prizes for the winners in each heat and these will be followed by the Grand Finale Race, with cash prizes of �110, �50 and �25 for first, second and third places.
All proceeds from the popular event will go to Landkey Football Club and organisers are still keen to hear from any local companies who would like to sponsor races or prizes.
You may also want to watch:
There will be live race commentary on the day, as well as a bar and barbecue, while organisers Chris Wingham from the Ring O' Bells and Chris Hiles from the football club also have a couple of new tricks up their sleeves.
"We are planning something never seen before and an historic event for Landkey - the first ever game of duck race bingo!" said landlord Chris.
- 1 2021 North Devon Show cancelled
- 2 Man wielding knife arrested in Barnstaple park
- 3 Braunton farmer admits ploughing up 'semi natural' land
- 4 Prince Philip's last North Devon visit remembered
- 5 North Devon high streets get set to welcome residents back
- 6 Flags fly at half mast across North Devon for Prince Philip
- 7 Property of the Week: Ford Rise, Bideford
- 8 Police seek driver after horse riders injured in Westward Ho! incident
- 9 Rapid coronavirus tests now available across Devon
- 10 Four cousins take on Four Church Challenge
Books will be available on the day for the "bingo race," with numbers called as the ducks arrive at the finish line. There will also be a special free children's race with prizes.
Tickets enabling you to enter a duck in a race are now available from the Ring O' Bells or on the day. To book in advance, or if you can help with sponsorship, call Chris Wingham on (01271) 830364 or on the day.